ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WinXP is officially dead!

<< < (16/19) > >>

tomos:
The time to criticize MS (and by extension those who build MS tools) for dropping XP support is long gone. The inferiority of any successor doesn't make it ok to expect extended support. If the successors are poor, find an alternative. If alternatives don't exist hold your nose and move to that inferior successor.-rgdot (June 10, 2014, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought Windows 7 is a much better OS -
do you not?

... or are you thinking of 8?

rgdot:
The time to criticize MS (and by extension those who build MS tools) for dropping XP support is long gone. The inferiority of any successor doesn't make it ok to expect extended support. If the successors are poor, find an alternative. If alternatives don't exist hold your nose and move to that inferior successor.-rgdot (June 10, 2014, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought Windows 7 is a much better OS -
do you not?

... or are you thinking of 8?
-tomos (June 11, 2014, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I meant I wouldn't blame MS and others for not wanting to support XP anymore. No matter how good or bad 7 or 8.

app103:
I meant I wouldn't blame MS and others for not wanting to support XP anymore. No matter how good or bad 7 or 8.
-rgdot (June 11, 2014, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can understand Microsoft not wanting to support it, since they are not going to make any more money from XP if they do or don't, so they might as well not, and push XP users into upgrading and putting more money in their pockets. That does make sense.

What I don't understand is 3rd party developers that make their money off supporting their apps running on whatever platforms their customers are using. If there are still a large chunk of people running XP, why turn them away from buying and using your software, by not supporting XP? Flushing all that cash down the toilet is kind of self-defeating, don't you think?

rgdot:
-rgdot (June 11, 2014, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can understand Microsoft not wanting to support it, since they are not going to make any more money from XP if they do or don't, so they might as well not, and push XP users into upgrading and putting more money in their pockets. That does make sense.

What I don't understand is 3rd party developers that make their money off supporting their apps running on whatever platforms their customers are using. If there are still a large chunk of people running XP, why turn them away from buying and using your software, by not supporting XP? Flushing all that cash down the toilet is kind of self-defeating, don't you think?
-app103 (June 11, 2014, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you produce a new product for something "new" (Windows 8 for example) you have more pricing flexibility.

wraith808:
-app103 (June 11, 2014, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are a lot of decisions that go into supporting platforms.  And apparently there is some data point (presumably based on money) that causes this kind of decision making.  Happens all the time in business.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version