ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WinXP is officially dead!

<< < (13/19) > >>

Josh:
I would like to see what applications don't work on Windows 7/8 that only work on XP. I have yet to run into one. I don't doubt they exist, but in all of my tinkering I have yet to find one.

Carol Haynes:
Anything written a long time ago for 16 bit won't run on 64 bit (I have run into a few deal breakers for customers) - even Microsoft Office (earlier editions than 2003) is not fully compatible with Windows 7.

Carol Haynes:
Oh, and BTW, I cannot tell you how many times WinXP crashed and wrecked its MBR, forcing me to run a complete backup restore from a backup HD to get it back.
OTOH, 99% of the time when Win7 crashes it retains its MBR and reboots in less time than it took me to type this.
-bit (April 28, 2014, 12:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.  So much this.  My last WinXP machine in regular use has this problem.  I just haven't taken the time to restore it, especially since its gone soon.  I just use my WinXP disk to boot... :(
-wraith808 (April 28, 2014, 05:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds much more like a hardware fault than down to Win XP - only disk corruptions I have ever come across in XP have been down to hardware issues.

Deozaan:
I would like to see what applications don't work on Windows 7/8 that only work on XP. I have yet to run into one. I don't doubt they exist, but in all of my tinkering I have yet to find one.
-Josh (April 28, 2014, 05:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have an old game that I like to play occasionally. It's an awesome 4x game called Stars!w with play-by-email feature (made even easier with something like Dropbox to sync the files). Sadly it's a Win 3.1 game so it was only 16-bit which means I can't play it on Windows 7. That's the only thing I've ever had a legitimate use for that had that problem.

Edvard:
Any 16-bit stuff can run just fine in a VM with Windows 3.1 or better (I chose Win95  :-[) and old DOS games and utilities have a very good chance of running just fine with DOSBox.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version