ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WinXP is officially dead!

<< < (12/19) > >>

Ath:
And the first (IE) security isue, affecting a.o. Win XP, has been found. Read more here

TaoPhoenix:

I happened to see this sentence in the article:
" We recommend applying a patch once available."

Uh... how is a patch being made available? Is it some kind of back door route via the government's support contract?

app103:
I happened to see this sentence in the article:
" We recommend applying a patch once available."

Uh... how is a patch being made available? Is it some kind of back door route via the government's support contract?
-TaoPhoenix (April 27, 2014, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Their recommendations of applying a patch applies to those not running XP or older. Look at what versions of IE are affected, 6-11. XP shipped with 6 and could be upgraded to 8, but not 9+. So there are other versions of Windows affected, ones that are still receiving security updates.

bit:
the day has arrived! support for the persistent WinXP has officially ended. anyone here going to defy microsoft and keep using winxp?
• http://www.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/xp/default.aspx
-lanux128 (April 08, 2014, 12:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
My WinXP works just fine; but I only use it for programs that won't work on my newer Win7; I keep them on separate HDs, and when one is plugged in, the other is not.

Oh, and BTW, I cannot tell you how many times WinXP crashed and wrecked its MBR, forcing me to run a complete backup restore from a backup HD to get it back.
OTOH, 99% of the time when Win7 crashes it retains its MBR and reboots in less time than it took me to type this.

wraith808:
Oh, and BTW, I cannot tell you how many times WinXP crashed and wrecked its MBR, forcing me to run a complete backup restore from a backup HD to get it back.
OTOH, 99% of the time when Win7 crashes it retains its MBR and reboots in less time than it took me to type this.
-bit (April 28, 2014, 12:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.  So much this.  My last WinXP machine in regular use has this problem.  I just haven't taken the time to restore it, especially since its gone soon.  I just use my WinXP disk to boot... :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version