ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WinXP is officially dead!

<< < (4/19) > >>

rgdot:
Microsoft has also stopped providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP. If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time
--- End quote ---

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

The 'limited time' is apparently 15 months
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2014/01/15/microsoft-extends-updates-windows-xp-security-products-july-14-2015/

40hz:
@Tao - I tend to avoid suites and just install what I need. That said I've used BitDefender AV and found it to be a very capable. YMMV. However, I have several clients with organization-wide deployments of BD that feel the same way about it.  And they all have sufficient budgets that cost wasn't a significant factor in making their final selection.

SeraphimLabs:
There are at least 5 machines in my care that will run XP until the day they die.

3 of these are industrial control solutions, relying on proprietary hardware and software that was only ever supported under Windows XP. They literally cannot be upgraded beyond what PC I can construct to carry that OEM interface board, and the software is forever tied to XP.

The other two are simply old machines in secondary roles. I keep them around for compatibility, and they will continue to use XP until hardware failure ends them.

TaoPhoenix:
@Tao - I tend to avoid suites and just install what I need. That said I've used BitDefender AV and found it to be a very capable. YMMV. However, I have several clients with organization-wide deployments of BD that feel the same way about it.  And they all have sufficient budgets that cost wasn't a significant factor in making their final selection.
-40hz (April 08, 2014, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fair enough!

So I'll probably go work on that coupon before it runs out to buy myself time. It would be nice to get a chip-in from a couple others though, just for perspective.

EDIT: I'm "skimming not reading" per another recent Slashdot post. So I didn't look at the date. So okay, I'll go look for those review articles. One of the ones mentioned with the unusual heuristic algorithm caught my eye as being interesting.

TaoPhoenix:
I really enjoy pairing off Slashdot and DC. DC's Signal-to-Noise is way better, but Slashdot gets the volume and one fun "little hobby" (call out to xkcd!) is to "commission" something by hitting a really fast but decent little post way at the top of the chain before the snarks bog it down. This is this month's gem:

-----

Re:Fascinating release date timing (Score:5, Funny)
by MightyMartian (840721) Friend of a Friend on 01:44 PM April 8th, 2014 (#46696105) Journal

A long long time ago,
I can still remember how that NT kernel made me smile.
And I knew that if I had my chance,
I'd write a helluva lot cool VB 6 apps.
And maybe my manager would be happy for a while.

But April made me shiver,
With each Win 8 PC I'd deliver.
Bad news in the staffroom steps.
And I couldn't take one more step.

I can't remember if I cried,
When I read about some XP user heaved a sigh.
But something touched me deep inside.
The day Windows XP died.

So bye bye Windows XP has died.
Rode my Segway to the to the levy,
But the levy was dry.
And good ol' sysadmins were drinking coffee and Sprite,
Singing "This is the day Windows XP has died,
This is the day Windows XP has died."

;D :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page