ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WinXP is officially dead!

<< < (15/19) > >>

Curt:
From some point of time in the month of July  Java will no longer support XP.

Ath:
From some point of time in the month of July  Java will no longer support XP.

-Curt (June 10, 2014, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Got any documentation on that? Java 8 already doesn't support XP, I know that, but I haven't seen any annoucement about older versions, other than Java 7 going EOL from July 15th.  (Yeah, I've been watching Oracle quite closely for Java releases)

TaoPhoenix:
From some point of time in the month of July  Java will no longer support XP.

-Curt (June 10, 2014, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Got any documentation on that? Java 8 already doesn't support XP, I know that, but I haven't seen any annoucement about older versions, other than Java 7 going EOL from July 15th.  (Yeah, I've been watching Oracle quite closely for Java releases)
-Ath (June 10, 2014, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is the angle that's starting to worry me.

It's one thing when MS doesn't support the OS anymore, but then all the secondary and tertiary people aren't either.

It was a long time ago, but it didn't feel this way way back in the day when Win 98 and Win 2000 dropped out of support. I had independently moved to a new comp more from hardware perspectives, so it didn't matter. But I really tried very very hard and won when I built my current project machine to make it last "almost forever" and except for a few suspicious glitches, I basically don't need anything else, so it's the "heavy" tone of the current environment that's bothering me. (Silly vampire novels aside, I specifically named it "Twilight" because I designed it to carry through the end of XP and this year it's mission is official.)

I'm not exactly in the "XP Rulez forever" camp. Win 7 is a strong contender, esp because at my other job I learned how to flip stuff back to usability. It's more like I need one of those "game show rewards" to just magically take and replace absolutely everything and replace the backbone and reload everything. I just don't have the energy to do that right now even if I magically had the money.

Plus a little part of me "feels sad for the hardware" and wants to know if my very best effort from 2006 can run the most brutally stripped copy of Win 9 which was the final design goal I envisioned way back, because then that's new enough to ride it off into the horizon for its design mission goal.

app103:
It was a long time ago, but it didn't feel this way way back in the day when Win 98 and Win 2000 dropped out of support.
-TaoPhoenix (June 10, 2014, 01:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, it was much worse when Win98/ME hit final EOL. By the time it happened, the majority of developers had already stopped supporting it.

I should know, I was still using WinME at the time. Microsoft dropped support in July 2006, but I was already having a lot of trouble with developers dropping support for 9x in their apps, back in 2003...3 whole years before official EOL.

And less than 6 months after EOL, it was really tough to find any Antivirus vendor that still supported it. Even AVG dropped support, not even offering dat updates for the last version that would run on 9x.

rgdot:
The time to criticize MS (and by extension those who build MS tools) for dropping XP support is long gone. The inferiority of any successor doesn't make it ok to expect extended support. If the successors are poor, find an alternative. If alternatives don't exist hold your nose and move to that inferior successor.

Even my mother's non-smart phone is newer than XP and she's had had it 'forever'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version