ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

application help

<< < (2/4) > >>

kalos:
any that is in trend and will be in future demand and enable me to get (after years) one of those GBP80k per year positions

btw, I am around 30, am I too old to get into programming? because I know many at my age that program from 12 years old kids

kalos:
any hint?????????

Ath:
any that is in trend and will be in future demand and enable me to get (after years) one of those GBP80k per year positions
-kalos (April 05, 2014, 04:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, based on your answer to my question, I'd suggest to obtain a crystal ball and predict the future... :-[

kalos:
--- End quote ---

Well, based on your answer to my question, I'd suggest to obtain a crystal ball and predict the future... :-[
-Ath (April 08, 2014, 05:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

cmon there are so many articles about the job trends in IT!

TaoPhoenix:

btw, I am around 30, am I too old to get into programming? because I know many at my age that program from 12 years old kids
--- End quote ---

Hmm. I think there's a problem with what you are asking, and I don't know if any more than 1% of companies would "train you cold". For example, borrowing from one of my theories about education, a college class is "not much more" than "40 lectures, books, and tests to prove you learned".

Let's just assume Windows will be here for a while to stay, so it can't hurt to at least start on Windows. So have you ever looked at a programming book? Talk about no-risk investment, that's one of the few areas there are lots of free programming books on the web. So grab one and dive into it, then report back here.

Caveat: it's not so much if you are too old at 30 (but yes Ageism *is* a factor in IT!), but if you have any native talent at all. Sadly, I absolutely do not, so I went into accounting.

The devastating problem with trying to learn at a company is that they have to pay by the hour. But while you're learning, you may simply need huge blocks of time just to get the basics! Most companies need someone with as many skills as you can muster "off the clock" to get the best hiring value for the buck.

So a fun way to get some crucial info is to look at the Coding Snacks here, then go fish on the web, and see if you can actually do one. Take a stopwatch and record the total time it takes you. Then ask the guy who did the snack how long it took them! Then see if one of them will let you see their code if you promise not to re-share it.

Very rough metric: If what takes the hotshots here a day, see if you can do it in under a week "cold". Then if you get stuck and see "the answer" and *still* can't figure it out in *another* week, then you might be in trouble! But at least you'll have some crucial info that you can share with us in about a month.

Start with one of the AHK/other scripts. So then when for example Skwire posts the script (he has posted a couple of them here), you might wonder how he knew to call ___function. So then that means you have to dig up a book on those functions, etc! To me that's how fast the early stages of learning expand, and what will burn tons of time.

I really want to know how you do with a month's time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version