ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Micro-review: Scapple

<< < (5/7) > >>

wraith808:
"Sorry, wraith808, I must have misunderstood you then. smiley"

No, please, it's the other way round: Your mentioning of "VUE (which I prefer) and CmapTools" was more than adequate since Scapple
-peter.s (April 05, 2014, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, he was right on.  Perhaps not for your purposes, but for the purposes of the conversation.  I never said that VUE and/or CmapTools were mind mappers.  I only said that for my intents, I wasn't looking for mindmappers, i.e. his suggestions were cool, though neither were really what I was looking for, and given that Scapple integrates more tightly into what I wanted for writing, it was a better choice for me.

noutters:
If you like Scapple, you should try yEd Graph Editor
With yEd, you can also quickly generate high-quality diagrams. You can create diagrams manually or import your external data for analysis.
The best with yEd is the library of automatic layout algorithms to rearrange even very complex diagrams. :Thmbsup:
It is multiplatform and free.

Try it out and tell me if you like it.
More info at yEd main page

x16wda:
After an extremely brief look at both Scapple and yEd, I think I'll play with both some more. yEd seemed to do some things more intuitively than Scapple (for my brain anyway) but it had a busier look. Also there's that note in the license terms about "yEd can stick some objects somewhere in what you do that says you used yEd" (or something similar)... sounded a little odd, but it was clearly right out there in the open.

J-Mac:
Thanks for the review!

I use Scrivener (Sparingly so far, but I'm picking up usage as I become more familiar with it), and apparently Scapple can feed it to some degree. I just downloaded and installed the trial so I haven't gotten far into how they interrelate yet.

Currently I try to use OneNote 2010 for idea development, and while it is adequate for this it certainly isn't optimal. Scapple sounds (and looks) to be better for my use.

Thanks again!

Jim

peter.s:
"Um...I think I may have figured that much out already."

"There are also some free concept mappers out there, such as Visual Understanding Environment (VUE) (which I prefer) and CmapTools."

(Cf. my kind asking for some details on both, let unanswered.) With all due respect to both cited posters, and I use that term on purpose: If I had said,

"There are also some brilliant if comparatively expensive text processors out there, such as Word Perfect (WP) (which I prefer) and Word.",

you would have called me an impolite egomaniac/fool, and you would have been right.

I think that whenever several but similar sw categories are mixed up, one should have the right to remind ourselves of some differenciation criterion, and whenever a poster brings in such similar sw offerings, especially when they ain't as universally known as MS Word is, e.g., some details should be brought in, too, instead of just blabbing, and worse, of forcing really interested parties into finding-out-for-themselves, from start to finish.

Just compare the posts of some of us here, with such no-content posts as the above, left un-amended, and it will become clear as day to you that some posts are constructive, whilst others just steal your time, especially in light of the fact that their authors, even when kindly asked to improve them somewhat, remain silent, i.e. remain stuck on thair blabbing-only position.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of style, and a matter of mutual respect, and yes, I feel entitled to speak openly on this matter, with regards to MY communication style, which is not based on "see what I know" but on "here's what I happily share". Some younger posters here should perhaps think about that for some minutes. And again, on purpose, I happily add a

;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version