ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Best Investigative Journalism magazines or webistes?

(1/1)

superboyac:
I'm looking for some that are as honest and no-BS as possible.  Any recommendations?

I came across this one for Germans:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Spiegel

TaoPhoenix:

I think it might still depend on living with a "slant". You can have "legit" sites that are left, right, or (rarely) center. But even if the first two have an overall tone, I think you are asking if the reporting looks fair, vs the growing trend to News-Spam we're risking on sites whose only goal is ad impressions on 400 word summaries.

40hz:
I'm partial to the Annenberg Foundation's FactCheck website:

Our Mission

We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit “consumer advocate” for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.

FactCheck.org is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state and federal levels.

--- End quote ---

I also think the narrowly focused website The Intercept looks promising:

About The Intercept

The Intercept, a publication of First Look Media, was created by Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras, and Jeremy Scahill. It has a two-fold mission: one short-term, the other long-term.

Our short-term mission is to provide a platform to report on the documents previously provided by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. Although we are still building our infrastructure and larger vision, we are launching now because we believe we have a vital obligation to this ongoing and evolving story, to these documents, and to the public.

Our NSA coverage will be comprehensive, innovative and multi-faceted. We have a team of experienced editors and journalists devoted to the story. We will use all forms of digital media for our reporting. In addition, we will publish primary source documents on which our reporting is based. We will also invite outside experts with area knowledge to contribute to our reporting, and provide a platform for commentary and reader engagement.

Our long-term mission is to produce fearless, adversarial journalism across a wide range of issues. The editorial independence of our journalists will be guaranteed. They will be encouraged to pursue their passions, cultivate a unique voice, and publish stories without regard to whom they might anger or alienate. We believe the prime value of journalism is its power to impose transparency, and thus accountability, on the most powerful governmental and corporate bodies, and our journalists will be provided the full resources and support required to do this.

While our initial focus will be the critical work surrounding the NSA story, we are excited by the opportunity to grow with our readers into the broader and more comprehensive news outlet that the The Intercept will become.
--- End quote ---

8)

superboyac:
Thanks foe-dee!!  That is good enough for me.  :up:

xtabber:
Here are some sites with a U.S. focus I'd recommend:

For general in depth investigative journalism, ProPublica. Note, in particular, their "Tools & Data" tab, which gives visitors access to the actual data collected in many of their investigations to play with and draw your own conclusions.

For public opinion, polls and statistical analysis, the Pew Research Center.

For investigative reporting on the media and journalism, the Columbia Journalism Review.

For unbiased information about U.S. health care issues, the Kaiser Family Foundation site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version