ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Nice blog post on the parasitic software hosting sites bundling junkware

<< < (4/10) > >>

bit:
Although this link is to a how-to article called 'Remove Trovi.com redirect', it turned out to be a good way to clean up my machine from other crapware problems.
It gives links to four cleaner programs and tells what order to run them in.
It's recommended by malwaretips.com as a sub-link.

Tnx for the head's-up on Softonic.

40hz:

But even with the new anti-wrapper safeguards, what would prevent them from continuing to distribute the version they already have?
--- End quote ---

i think you're assigning to them a level of determination and resilliance that is unrealistic.  the more likely scenario is they have an automated process and if a particular installer doesnt "wrap well" for whatever reason, they probably throw it onto the pile of installers not to wrap, and move on.
-mouser (April 01, 2014, 03:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll defer to your judgement since you're in the business and more knowledgeable than I am about these people.

But I can't help thinking once an app is in their catalog, it stays there until it gets replaced with a newer version. If I were doing what they're doing, and running an automated system, I'd be inclined to just leave an existing title where it was if it couldn't be updated to a later version.

Either way...it's a hassle no developer should have to go through just to protect their works.

TaoPhoenix:
-bit (April 01, 2014, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've been well aware of CNet's junk, but one time apparently I saw a Softonic one and wasn't aware of their reputation! However I do know in general to always go Custom, so I think my instincts at the time evaded most of their stuff, but it's hard to ever really know they haven't pulled one last trick.

TaoPhoenix:
Although this link is to a how-to article called 'Remove Trovi.com redirect', it turned out to be a good way to clean up my machine from other crapware problems.

--- End quote ---

I'm going to try (some/all) of that soon, just to see what few goodies got left behind despite my efforts.

TaoPhoenix:

--- End quote ---

Inspired by you, I ran an old standby, Mark Russinovich's "Rootkit Revealer".
(Forgive the now-Microsoft wrapping!)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx

Mark R. made his name as a 1-man Windows expert and MS just kept offering him money until they snapped him up. I think he's a good guy. He made his "fame" in the Sony Rootkit mess by providing key details.

But bird's eye what's we're seeing is there's this whole class of junk that "good ol' " MS Security Essentials isn't picking up. Comp Security is Medium Hard. To be honest as a medium grade user I bet my meachine is only 80% at this point. There's just so much to do. But 80% is better than 20% etc...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version