ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft: All your data are belong to us.

(1/3) > >>

xtabber:
Last week, it was revealed that Microsoft had examined the Hotmail/Outlook.com emails of a blogger, who was NOT a Microsoft employee, in order to find who had leaked confidential information to that person.

It seems this is legal because, under Microsoft’s terms of use, the company has the right to examine any user’s data for any reason they see fit.

This is very different from data mining user data to sell advertising, and it makes me wonder why anyone in their right mind would consider using Office 365 for any reason at all.

superboyac:
Last week, it was revealed that Microsoft had examined the Hotmail/Outlook.com emails of a blogger, who was NOT a Microsoft employee, in order to find who had leaked confidential information to that person.

It seems this is legal because, under Microsoft’s terms of use, the company has the right to examine any user’s data for any reason they see fit.

This is very different from data mining user data to sell advertising, and it makes me wonder why anyone in their right mind would consider using Office 365 for any reason at all.
-xtabber (March 27, 2014, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
What's a good alternative?  I am also looking for an email/calendar service with more privacy protection than what is available.  I am not having any luck.  If I don't find one, I am planning on using Microsoft's Exchange Online ($4/month per user) service.

wraith808:

--- End quote ---

Unless you're using your own server, you're deluding yourself if you think that unencrypted e-mail isn't subject to the same things.  Even if you *are*, you're still subject to it from anyone that you've sent it to.

E-mail is an inherently insecure medium.  And any expectations of privacy are just that- expectations that the services go along with... until it's not expedient to do so.

Vurbal:
Unless you're using your own server, you're deluding yourself if you think that unencrypted e-mail isn't subject to the same things.  Even if you *are*, you're still subject to it from anyone that you've sent it to.
-wraith808 (March 27, 2014, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or at any point during the trip from your server to their client.

Stoic Joker:

--- End quote ---

E-mail is an inherently insecure medium.  And any expectations of privacy are just that- expectations that the services go along with... until it's not expedient to do so.
-wraith808 (March 27, 2014, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

+5 - Yepper, if you make the mistake of being interesting...you're hosed no matter what you do. Server to server transfers are - straight port 25 protocol default - never encrypted. So the last mile SSL connection placebo that sheeple keep flocking to is nothing more than a sick/sad joke. The ABCs (with ears to the backbone) know exactly what they're looking for long before anyone decides to sort though your knickers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version