ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help please! - Unable to install MS SQL Express 2012 on laptop.

<< < (3/7) > >>

IainB:
@Vurbal:
Thanks. I just downloaded and executed the file I identify as:
02 SQLEXPR_x64_ENU - v11.0.2100.60 (Express DB only 64-bit).exe
It abended with the same error message as before.
I think I might have already tried this during my trial-and-error, but had not made a note of the version number.

By the way, the newest version that I had already tried and that abended was:
02 SQLEXPR_x64_ENU - v11.0.3000.0 (Express DB only 64-bit).exe

Shades:
There is no way you can provide us with the actual error message? To see where in the installation routine it fails?

According to this MSDN page .NET 3.5 is one of the requirements. Now I don't know which version you run, but it might be possible that you encounter problems because of incorrect versions or a mix-and-match that bums out the SQL 2012 Express installer.

If that is the case, there is a trick that might help:

* Download the full installer for the .NET you require, not the web installer!
* Stop the Windows Update service
* Use Explorer (in Admin mode) to go to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET'
* Rename the folder 'Assembly'
* Start the Windows Update service
* Install .NET
* Retry installing SQL Server 2012 Express

IainB:
@Shades:
This is the only information I can give about the error:

The MSDN page you link to is for Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2012
It says that:

* .NET 3.5 SP1 is a requirement for SQL Server 2012 when you select Database Engine, Reporting Services, Master Data Services, Data Quality Services, Replication, or SQL Server Management Studio, and it is no longer installed by SQL Server Setup.
* .NET 4.0 is a requirement for SQL Server 2012. SQL Server installs .NET 4.0 during the feature installation step.

However, this apparently relates only to the SQL Server 2012 version - i.e., not SQL Express 2012 (also called SQL Server 2012 Express.

When searching for directions for installing SQL Express 2012 I kept getting confused by finding directions for installing SQL Server 2012, and misled myself into thinking they were the same thing.

My laptop meets the prerequisites for installing SQL Express 2012 - namely Windows 7 SP1.

Shades:
I will take a look t the size of the installer I used for SQL Express. As I am testing the full product now,I don't recall the exact version number anymore from the installer. What I do remember though is that it was not much more than 1 GByte and I'm quite sure it didn't include SP1.

But if that installer does work, upgrading later to SP1 is likely less problematic than your current situation.

IainB:
Notes re .NET Framework v3.5 (which is apparently not a prerequisite for SQL Express 2012):

Help please! - Unable to install MS SQL Express 2012 on laptop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version