ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help please! - Unable to install MS SQL Express 2012 on laptop.

<< < (2/7) > >>

IainB:
...if you run the "checker" (picture here)
Can you try running the installer as admin with UAC completely disabled?
Does it absolutely require SQL2012?  You could try 2008R2 (download link here) instead and see if that is sufficient.  (Then you could run the 2012 installer to upgrade if you find yourself with too much free time!  :P)
-x16wda (March 26, 2014, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestions.
1. I'd never seen that checker. Maybe that is for the full SQL not the 2012 Express version?
2. I did run the installer as admin with UAC completely disabled - same result, sadlement.
3. During trial-and-error, I did try to install SQL 2008R2, but my system is apparently out of spec. for that install. I too had thought an upgrade from there might be an easier backdoor.   :D

Shades:
Could it not be that Home Premium is the problem?

Currently I am running a trial of SQL Server2012 after running SQL 2012 Express for a while now on a Win 7 PC that only has a 2GHz Athlon II/2GB RAM in it.

Anyway, I do think that SQL Server products run best on Windows Server editions. And if you are planning to do that, please do consider Server 2012 R2 instead of 2008 R2, because it behaves way more nimble on my server box than 2008 R2 ever did.

Ath:
For installation on a non-server version of Windows (like Win7 is) you either need the SQL Express edition, or the SQL Server Developer edition. The other SQL Server editions only allow to be installed on a 'proper' Windows Server OS. This has been enforced from at least SQL Server 2005 and maybe even earlier versions.
UAC hasn't been an issue for me in years, regarding SQL server installs.

IainB:
Thanks for all the comments.
It seems that the SQL Server Installation Center GUI (per image linked to by @x16wda) would be installed during the installation that abends in my case, which is why I never got to see it.

Though @Shades suggests that Home Premium might be the problem, it can't be, because, as @Ath points out:
For installation on a non-server version of Windows (like Win7 is) you either need the SQL Express edition, or the SQL Server Developer edition.

--- End quote ---
- and it is the correct SQL Express edition that I am trying to install here, and which install is abending.

Nevertheless, the abend error gives the exact same message as is shown in the first image of the SQL Server 2012 Express Installation Tutorial that @wraith808 links to, and yet my system spec seems to meet the defined prerequisites for installation, so the installation should proceed without error. So the problem is unclear. Evidently something about my system is being detected and flagged "wrong" during the installation.

I shall see if I can find an installation log file that might throw more light on things.
I don't really want Tabbles if I cannot have it all run locally.

Vurbal:
Though @Shades suggests that Home Premium might be the problem, it can't be, because, as @Ath points out:
For installation on a non-server version of Windows (like Win7 is) you either need the SQL Express edition, or the SQL Server Developer edition.

--- End quote ---
- and it is the correct SQL Express edition that I am trying to install here, and which install is abending.
-IainB (March 27, 2014, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can verify from personal experience that the Express version will install on Win7 Home Premium x64.

Have you tried installing the original (pre SP1) version to see if that changes anything? That shouldn't make a difference, but obviously shouldn't doesn't always enter into it.

It looks like the original release had a version number of 11.0.2100.60 - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version