ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help please! - Unable to install MS SQL Express 2012 on laptop.

(1/7) > >>

IainB:
I am trialling out a third-party product called Tabbles.
Tabbles is a sort of file tagging/categorisation tool that integrates with the Windows NTFS filing system. It can use either a proprietary Cloud-based database for the tag data, or Microsoft SQL Express.
I have installed Tabbles on a laptop with an i7 CPU, OS is Windows 7-64 Home Premium (Build 7601) with SP1, .NET Framework 4, and all updates up-to-date.
Currently, I am running the thing with Tabbles' proprietary Cloud-based database, but I want to run it with a local MS-SQL database.

Tabbles Wiki: says:
Tabbles 3 Requirement: Microsoft SQL Server
Tabbles 3 requires the .net framework 4 (this is installed by the installer) and the Microsoft SQL Server (the free version, called "Express" works just fine).

Installing the Microsoft SQL Server Express for single users
For single users, willing to use Tabbles on a single pc, installing the Microsoft SQL Server won't be too complicated. You can download the installer here [1]. The server should work

--- End quote ---

I don't have any practical experience of installing SQL, but it seemed like it should be straightforward.
I checked that the system where the install was to take place met the pre-requisites.
However, it does not install.
There are these 3 most recent files/versions that I could find available for download re SQL 2012 Express:
(From: https://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/pd/SQLEXPNOCTAV2/enus/default.aspx )

* 01. SqlLocalDB - (Local DB 64-bit).msi
* 02. SQLEXPR_x64_ENU - (Express DB only 64-bit).exe
* 03. SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU - (Express + Tools 64-bit).exe
File 02 is the one I apparently needed. It goes into the install process just fine, but just as the progress bar gets to 100% it abends with the error message:
Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 Setup
The operating system on this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for SQL Server
2012. For Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 operating systems, Service Pack 2 or later is
required. For Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, Service Pack 1 or later is required. For more
information, see Hardware and Software Requirements for installing SQL Server 2012 at:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=195092

--- End quote ---

Trial-and-error:

* Following the LinkID=195092 just leads me in circles (I had already established that the system where the install was to take place met the pre-requisites).
* I tried installing File 01, and it installs (but is not of any use to me, I think).
* I tried installing File 03, but that abended with the same error message as for File 02.
* I tried installing what seemed to be an earlier version of the file 02 from another MS website, but that abended with the same error message as for File 02.
* I tried DuckGo searches for problems with installing SQL 2012 Express, but could find nothing that helped or seemed close to the problem I was experiencing, or with a fix/workaround.
* I have searched the DC Forum, but could not find anything that might help.
* I have MySQL-for-Excel installed on the same laptop, and was unsure whether this could have been causing a conflict for the SQL Server 2012 install, but switching the MySQL off doesn't seem to make any difference to the latter install - File 02 it still abends with the same error message.
Having thus drawn a blank so far, I am posting this to see if there is anyone in the forum who could offer their practical experience of the installation of SQL 2012 Express or could suggest problem resolution re same.

x16wda:
I don't care for the recent SQL server installers, I think they're cumbersome and they can be misleading.  That said, if you run the "checker" (picture here) does it still report a problem?

Can you try running the installer as admin with UAC completely disabled?

Does it absolutely require SQL2012?  You could try 2008R2 (download link here) instead and see if that is sufficient.  (Then you could run the 2012 installer to upgrade if you find yourself with too much free time!  :P)

x16wda:
PS- looks like an interesting program, hopefully you will get it working and write another excellent review of it!  :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
I did a mini trial of it a while back... the developer replied and it apparently wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

As far as SQL Server Express, a couple of links that might be of help.

First, I'd download it from here or here.

Not sure if that's different from where you d/l'd the installation from, but that page doesn't look like one I've seen.

And a tutorial site that goes through the installation is here: http://www.soheib.com/technical-knowledge/sql-server-2012-express-installation-tutorial/

Vurbal:
If those links don't help here's something always worth remembering when you get seemingly nonsensical error messages. In many cases it's the result of poor logic by the programmers. Sometimes a program gets an error, checks for the scenarios the developers anticipated, gets through the next to last one and then falls through to the equivalent of, "If it wasn't any of those, this must be it."

For something like SQL Server it's always worth checking for any available updates - even non-critical ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version