ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A three drive system - the sweet spot

<< < (9/10) > >>

40hz:
Unless things have changed considerably since the last time I had a UPS battery die (it's been a few years), it's almost as expensive as a new UPS.
-Vurbal (March 26, 2014, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Last I checked - it was.

The other thing is unless it's a "server grade" or data center UPS, there's probably enough electrical wear & tear on the circuit components that you'll get less than "new" performance after you replace the batteries after the originals go. I  have clients who replaced batteries in the smaller APC (Smart-UPS 1500 et al) units and discovered those batteries required replacement in fairly short order. The originals lasted about three years when not pushed too hard. The replacements wanted to be replaced in less than a year. And there was no real change in the demands put on them if the PowerChute logs are at all to be trusted.

Much like putting a new transformer in an old guitar amp, what you usually end up doing is gradually replacing everything in the circuit. Generally starting with the capacitors. Because that old amp isn't used to getting the correct voltages or current - and the other components aged with the transformer and couldn't handle it once it was replaced.

I put a stake in the ground for consumer level hardware. If the fix exceeds 50% of the original purchase price - or the unit is over three years old - I'll almost always opt to replace rather than repair. But that's me.

40hz:
There are actually 2 primary high end OEMs for tower/desktop power supplies. Seasonic has always (as long as I've known about them anyway) been the best in terms of consistent high quality. Next was SuperFlower, who always made good top end units as well, but weren't always the most consistent with their lower tier models. Over the last few years they seem to be right up there with Seasonic across the board.

-Vurbal (March 26, 2014, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can't speak for SuperFlower having never (knowingly) used one. The Seasonics are extremely well engineered units. But I've only deployed them in server settings. If you have rack style casings they offer a pretty full line. And their replacement price is compelling when compared to an OEM's "own" PS offerings. I like them a lot.

As far as Corsair goes, it's the intended market design principle at work. I think they're fine for non-mission critical use. I've probably bought and installed well over a hundred of them over the years and I never had a problem with one. One of my partners swears by Enermax and has much the same regard for them as I do for PCP&C. Which makes sense since they seem to be using the same base frame from what you're saying.

In the end I guess it's not super important which you choose as long as you start with an appropriately sized quality brand of PS; plug that into an appropriately sized quality sine-wave UPS (ideally a zero-switchover model); and plug that into a good quality surge suppressor/line filter. Extra points for plugging in a line conditioner after the surge suppressor if you're power is extremely cranky (or there's a civil war in progress) where you live.

That won't solve all your power problems - as you noted with with your mention of grounding issues -  which are the bane of my existence. But it should go a very long way towards happy computing.
 8)

Vurbal:
Unless things have changed considerably since the last time I had a UPS battery die (it's been a few years), it's almost as expensive as a new UPS.
-Vurbal (March 26, 2014, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Last I checked - it was.

The other thing is unless it's a "server grade" or data center UPS, there's probably enough electrical wear & tear on the circuit components that you'll get less than "new" performance after you replace the batteries after the originals go. I  have clients who replaced batteries in the smaller APC (Smart-UPS 1500 et al) units and discovered those batteries required replacement in fairly short order. The originals lasted about three years when not pushed too hard. The replacements wanted to be replaced in less than a year. And there was no real change in the demands put on them if the PowerChute logs are at all to be trusted.

Much like putting a new transformer in an old guitar amp, what you usually end up doing is gradually replacing everything in the circuit. Generally starting with the capacitors. Because that old amp isn't used to getting the correct voltages or current - and the other components aged with the transformer and couldn't handle it once it was replaced.-40hz (March 26, 2014, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way the first time I tried to replace an APC battery. Don't remember the model but it was one of the slightly higher end (but really still consumer grade) models for the small office server market. I'm not sure how long the battery had been dead when I became responsible for it but something on the battery side was apparently foobar already. It didn't even acknowledge the new battery.

I put a stake in the ground for consumer level hardware. If the fix exceeds 50% of the original purchase price - or the unit is over three years old - I'll almost always opt to replace rather than repair. But that's me.

--- End quote ---

I can't argue with that. I always try to emphasize to people how much quality difference there can be between consumer and enterprise technology. The key is understanding that if you aren't happy and decide never to buy from some company it's not that big a deal. If some corporation decides to stop spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on their hardware it is.

40hz:
I always try to emphasize to people how much quality difference there can be between consumer and enterprise technology. The key is understanding that if you aren't happy and decide never to buy from some company it's not that big a deal. If some corporation decides to stop spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on their hardware it is.
-Vurbal (March 26, 2014, 01:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

A most excellent point succinctly stated. I hope you don't mind if I quote you next time this topic comes up with a client. :Thmbsup:

mtotton:
Hi, I am new to this forum, a friend of mine sent me a link to this thread thinking i might be interested. I am an information security consultant and I have been in the IT industry since 1974 (I know, I am very ancient). First I would like to just list my setup, and then make a few comments - Oh, by the way, i don't expect anyone to take any notice of what i say, I just like to join in these discussions  :).

Main PC:
Intel Core i7 @ 3.08 MHz
16 GB memory
250GB SSD system disk
3TB S-ATA disk
1 TB S-ATA disk

Server1 - Ubuntu
Some old junk CPU
500GB S-ATA system disk
2TB S-ATA backup
1TB S.-ATA backup

Server2 - Synology NAS
3TB S-ATA Backup
1TB S-ATA Backup

Server3 - ConnectedData Transporter
2TB - S-ATA Backup

Total - about 13 TB of disk

So what?
Firstly, I have a home studio - recording live music requires fast disk writes but even more it requires a fast system disk. I find S-ATA drives are plenty fast enough for recording performances, but the SSD keeps all the effects running fast enough to generate the music without latency.

I also do a lot of photography, and the speed of the SSD definitely reduces opening and storing time

In all my time with home PCs - and that is a looooong time, I have never had a hard disk fail on me, I have never needed a UPS (and never had one). Just ask yourself, would it really be a disaster if my PC stopped just his minute? I take a system image once a week to a separate drive, and all my disks mean that I can back up all important information at least once, and sometimes twice. As for power, here in Norway I have about 16 circuits in my home, one of them only for my home network. All the circuits have surge protection and use electronic circuit breakers which trip so fast the devices don't get damaged even by short circuits.

Everything I have read about SSD, and all my experiences tells me they are at least as reliable and long lived as any mechanical drives and almost certainly far better, if they were cheaper I would have nothing else.

The Transporter is like a private cloud, I am installing one in my cottage in the mountains as soon as I get internet (any day now), it just sits on a network and synchronises with other Transporters you allow to connect, completely encrypted and secure. So I will have one at home and one at the cottage - perfect backups!

I am a professional paranoid, but I can assure you I trust SSDs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version