ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A three drive system - the sweet spot

<< < (6/10) > >>

Vurbal:
That's without even getting into the issue of cooling which is a problem for all drives, but probably even more for a SSD (especially a consumer model) than a HDD.
-Vurbal (March 25, 2014, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
I find that my machines run cooler with SSDs than with mechanical drives. More space for air flow?

-cranioscopical (March 25, 2014, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's probably part of it. Keep in mind they also use less power, and probably use it a lot more efficiently too. The problem, once again, would mostly apply to badly designed hardware - the case rather than the PSU in this instance

Shades:
More efficient, yes. But I'm not that sure about the amount of power being consumed.

- RAM consumes a lot of power nowadays, because it needs to read and write very fast.
- A hard disk consumes a lot of power, because it reads and writes quite fast (at least as fast as the mechanics allow for).
- A pen drive consumes hardly any power, but forget fast reading and writing.

Guess where an SSD fits in this list. Now there are advantages with the SSD. Although it draws a lot of power, it doesn't do so the whole time. Not in a similar fashion as a mechanical drive has to, at least. So yes, more efficient it will be, but don't underestimate the power consumption when it's active.

And you are completely right about the quality of the PSU in a PC and the quality of the power that "feeds" the CPU. Proper grounding your grid works wonders, using small power groups also helps a lot. In the Netherlands an average house uses about 5 16 Ampere circuit breakers. Usually one for the (master) bath room, one for the kitchen, one for the living/hallway/toilet, one for the bedrooms/attic/toilet, one for the washing machine and one for a garden/shed.

All these small grids practically do not affect each other, whenever there is an appliance connected that is known to generate spikes in a grid ((older) fluorescent light elements, washing machine, dish washer, micro wave, power tools, blow dryers). Saves you already a lot of headache and the appliances that are more or less permanently attached to the 220 Volt grid really last longer. 

You really should take a look sometimes with a scope to your power grid when it is in normal use. You would be amazed how "dirty" the power in your house is.

cranioscopical:
You would be amazed how "dirty" the power in your house is.
-Shades (March 25, 2014, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
I am the power in my house and electricity is just a servant but, please, don't tell my wife I said that as she has other ideas about who/watt is in/on charge.  :-[

Shades:
She says only one thing: Joule be sorry for what you just said...

Stoic Joker:
I don't have the en-erg-y for this game, but I'm dyne to try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version