ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A three drive system - the sweet spot

<< < (4/10) > >>

xtabber:
What are drive image backups doing staying on the PC itself?
-rgdot (March 23, 2014, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
In my case, for backup purposes, I only image my system/software partition (which I keep small, as explained earlier) and keep copies of only the most recent images on an external drive, case of drive failure.

But I also keep locally a good number of images created at various intervals since a system was initially set up. This allows me to go back to an earlier state, or to mount an image as a drive to retrieve something that I might have overwritten or deleted.  Keeping images on the system itself makes this much faster than searching offline backups.

4wd:
I'm thinking that with the huge amounts of memory in machines these days are making the PageFile an almost moot point, so anything active in memory will most likely stay there.-Stoic Joker (March 23, 2014, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Given huge amounts of memory, besides disabling the pagfile, wouldn't you also move the TEMP stuff to a RAM drive and thereby not lose any speed writing to physical media at all?

In my desktop with 12GB, I have a 2GB RAM drive and no pagefile and there's apparently 6GB+ left available for other programs.  About the only time I've run out of memory is when some program has a memory leak.

Innuendo:
I upgraded my boot drive to an SSD drive a year or two ago and it's been well worth it, especially if you do anything on your PC that loads a lot of data frequently like games.

I don't treat my SSD drive with kid gloves, either. I let the swap file and whatever else Windows normally stores on the C: drive to reside on it with no ill effects thus far. Knock wood.  :)

mouser:
What are drive image backups doing staying on the PC itself?
--- End quote ---

I agree they should be kept on external drives for the most part -- though it's nice to be able to store copies on a local drive too.  Redundancy is the name of the game.

Don't forget you want backups not just on external drives, but offsite -- someplace that wouldn't be lost if your house burned down or was robbed.

40hz:
I agree they should be kept on external drives for the most part -- though it's nice to be able to store copies on a local drive too.  Redundancy is the name of the game.
-mouser (March 24, 2014, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yup! :Thmbsup:

You can save time by doing an image to an internal drive - and then syncing or copying the image over to an external drive or network share - thereby getting the best of both worlds. Schedule both for overnight runs and you're ready for almost anything.

Addendum:

Spoke to my clients who I know are using SSDs (mostly in laptops FWIW) to find out how it's been working for them. Everybody (except for one) loved them and felt they were a great boost to their productivity. However, about half experienced reliability issues or needed drive replacements within 12-16 months of original installation.

I'm sure being early (or earlier) adopters of the bleeding edge contributed to the number of incidents experienced. And I'm sure these drives have seen significant improvements in their design and manufacturing in the interim. But I still don't get warm fuzzies seeing those stats in conjunction with an expensive new piece of hardware. At least not for the marginal additional benefit gained by using one. Or so it seems to me.

I certainly would like to get an SSD....but not just yet. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version