ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OneNote now on Mac as well, +FREE everywhere, + Cloud service powered.

<< < (8/12) > >>

IainB:
Looks like OneNote FREE for the Mac is a seriously hobbled version: OneNote now free… or is it? | Welcome to Sherwood

IainB:
Well, I'm disgusted by this now, after reading this self-explanatory post in OutlinerSoftware.com:
Outliner Software: OneNote for Mac on the horizon...
Posted by Stephen Zeoli
Mar 18, 2014 at 05:36 PM

Ah, I knew there had to be a catch. I’ve been using OneNote 2010 on my Windows PC, which I paid for. I just downloaded the free 2013 edition, which was working just fine until I tried to create a new page in one of the notebooks that I keep on my computer (instead of on SkyDrive), and got a messages saying “Subscribe to Office to continue using this notebook.” From the “Learn more” link:
Anyone can download and use the free version of OneNote. When you subscribe to Office 365 Home Premium for just $9.99 per month, you get the premium version of OneNote, which easily integrates with the other latest Office applications and comes with additional capabilities, including the ability to:

* Create notebooks on your PC. Create notebooks saved to your hard drive (offline) in addition to being saved to your OneDrive. Being able to work with notebooks offline as well as online is great for anyone with a spotty network connection or those who are always on the go.

* Support your business needs. Your notes are synced to your OneDrive for Business, so you and your teammates can collaborate easily. For added security, you can password-protect your notebooks. And with Office 365 you get the latest Office applications, which means you get a complete note-taking experience, with embedded Excel files and added Outlook tasks, meeting notes, and contacts.

* Record your notes. Why just write or type your notes when you can video- or audio-record them at the same time? That way you’re sure not to miss any important information. Perfect for students and for those important meetings.

--- End quote ---

Is this the deal breaker? Maybe. I don’t want or need all my work notebooks, which I keep on my PC at the office, floating around on SkyDrive or on my other devices. Indeed, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Steve Z.

--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
Granted it's (more than) a bit Rube Goldbergian but if preexisting local notebooks can be opened, but changes have to be saved to Sky/OneDrive ... Won't the sync feature sync the notebook file back to/with the local machine? Or is that possibility being actively blocked?

40hz:
Well, I'm disgusted by this now, after reading this self-explanatory post in OutlinerSoftware.com:
[url=http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/5315/15]Outliner Software: OneNote for Mac on the horizon...
Is this the deal breaker? Maybe. I don’t want or need all my work notebooks, which I keep on my PC at the office, floating around on SkyDrive or on my other devices. Indeed, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Steve Z.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
-IainB (March 20, 2014, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds very much like a deal breaker to me.

re: free lunch

When it comes to Microsoft, nothing is ever "free." There's always a gotcha. And what 'deals' they do offer (e.g. Office 365) always come prix fixe.

If you're more the à la carte type, you're SOL when ordering from Microsoft's menu. :-\

(Note: the best way to keep your head on straight whenever dealing with the Gnomes of Redmond is to repeat three times: Microsoft does not offer deals. They negotiate licensing. It's a small seeming but very significant difference.) :tellme:

rgdot:
Still haven't seen any restriction so still confused by the original comment.... like I said it may be I have no clue :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version