ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OneNote now on Mac as well, +FREE everywhere, + Cloud service powered.

<< < (7/12) > >>

IainB:
Not trying to be funny, but I don't get it. No offline notes at all or only in certain cases (created on PC?) it won't be available offline? Colour me confused  :-[
-rgdot (March 19, 2014, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
I just tried creating a new notebook on my computer instead of the cloud like the default one, and got the same dialogue saying this version can only create notebooks on OneCloud >:(.
I am starting to feel there is a lot of information about this free offer that would have been handy on the download page instead of all the stock photos of happy people ;D.
-Jibz (March 19, 2014, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't understand.
If this discovery is the case - i.e., that client-based "offline" Notebooks are a disabled feature - then Microsoft's launch and advertising for this would seem to have been deliberately obfuscating/misleading. Furthermore, if they had wanted money for what is currently given away free, then it could probably arguably have been fraudulent.
What would be to gain by MS not being up-front about it? What would they expect to achieve otherwise? Wait for the unavoidable backlash when people realised that they had been conned? That doesn't make sense. It would be self-inflicted highly negative word-of-mouth advertising. This could seem to be a stupid thing to do, from a marketing perspective alone. It would not make sense.
And why such a big download file if there was to be no OneNote offline desktop functionality? Surely not a Trojan of some kind?

Has anyone following this discussion been able to use client-based "offline" OneNote Notebooks purely via this FREE install - i.e, without having, for example, MS Office 2013 or 2010 or 2007 installed as well?

Jibz:
Why would they not be up-front about it? What would they expect to achieve otherwise? Wait for the unavoidable backlash when people realised that they had been conned? That doesn't make sense. It would be self-inflicted highly negative word-of-mouth advertising. This would be a stupid thing to do, from a marketing perspective alone. It would not make sense.
-IainB (March 20, 2014, 12:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

One of the news sites called it a freemiumw version, which I think looks to be more or less accurate.

Perhaps if they had called it "OneNote Cloud", to differentiate it from the full version.

IainB:
Below is an assembled image of the sequence related to opening the ONLINE Notebook on the PC. Also shows Help notes.

OneNote now on Mac as well, +FREE everywhere, + Cloud service powered.

IainB:
I asked the Q above:
Has anyone following this discussion been able to use client-based "offline" OneNote Notebooks purely via this FREE install - i.e, without having, for example, MS Office 2013 or 2010 or 2007 installed as well?
--- End quote ---

Another Q: Has anyone managed to download, install and operate a 32-bit version of OneNote FREE?
The comments above seem to have been all about 64-bit installs only, with 64-bit installs being downloaded even when a 32-bit install had been requested.
I do know from my installation of MS Office 2013 that the recommended install was 32-bit rather than 64-bit, because of limited integration of the 64-bit products to date (including IE 64-bit) - and I think that is still the case.
Maybe an All-32-bit install of the OneNote FREE would work OK?

Out of interest, I'm about to double-check whether there's any difference between using IE 32-bit and IE 64-bit with OneNote 2013 and OneNote FREE online.

IainB:
Why would they not be up-front about it? What would they expect to achieve otherwise? Wait for the unavoidable backlash when people realised that they had been conned? That doesn't make sense. It would be self-inflicted highly negative word-of-mouth advertising. This would be a stupid thing to do, from a marketing perspective alone. It would not make sense.
-IainB (March 20, 2014, 12:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
One of the news sites called it a freemiumw version, which I think looks to be more or less accurate.
Perhaps if they had called it "OneNote Cloud", to differentiate it from the full version.
-Jibz (March 20, 2014, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I don't see how the news sites could necessarily act as spokespersons or interpreters for Microsoft, who have already clearly indicated (QED) in their adverts that the FREE version makes OneNote available EVERYWHERE and is available on all devices (including PCs), for viewing stuff ONLINE and OFFLINE (see my diagram above illustrating this).

By the way, I have edited that bit you quoted so that it now reads:
If this discovery is the case - i.e., that client-based "offline" Notebooks are a disabled feature - then Microsoft's launch and advertising for this would seem to have been deliberately obfuscating/misleading. Furthermore, if they had wanted money for what is currently given away free, then it could probably arguably have been fraudulent.
What would be to gain by MS not being up-front about it? What would they expect to achieve otherwise? Wait for the unavoidable backlash when people realised that they had been conned? That doesn't make sense. It would be self-inflicted highly negative word-of-mouth advertising. This could seem to be a stupid thing to do, from a marketing perspective alone. It would not make sense.
And why such a big download file if there was to be no OneNote offline desktop functionality? Surely not a Trojan of some kind?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version