ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OneNote now on Mac as well, +FREE everywhere, + Cloud service powered.

<< < (5/12) > >>

Jibz:
@Jibz: Was this experience (above) purely from using the FREE OneNote download/install? Was it the 32 or 64 bit version?
-IainB (March 19, 2014, 03:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

It was using the free version, and I downloaded the 32-bit installer, but like 4wd mentioned, it appears to have installed the 64-bit version.

40hz:
@Jibz: Was this experience (above) purely from using the FREE OneNote download/install? Was it the 32 or 64 bit version?
-IainB (March 19, 2014, 03:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

It was using the free version, and I downloaded the 32-bit installer, but like 4wd mentioned, it appears to have installed the 64-bit version.
-Jibz (March 19, 2014, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently Microsoft knows better than you "where you want to go today."  ;D

Gotta loooove that cloud! :Thmbsup: ;)

Shades:
It also looks like some (unnecessary in my pov) services are installed. I gave the download up after a Microsoft message mentioning I'm on a slow connection and redirected. But to my surprise the service 'OfficeClickToRun' was already installed and wouldn't let me terminate it, even after a reboot. It was a very active service as well according to Process Hacker (open source alternative to Process Explorer) this service was doing lots of I/O and I had to use SysInternals to make it not start at boot time. I used Process Hacker, because it contains extra ways terminating unwilling services and software.

I'm a bit obsessive in that way, besides anti-virus/malware programs I find that there is hardly any software worth starting at boot time. This keeps my boot times fast and grants me a bit of control about which tasks I plan to do. The constant drain on boot times doesn't weigh up against me starting an application when I want it to. And yes, I turn PC's off after shutting them down, when I don't need them (power switch on the power supply!).

wraith808:
Oh... and thanks for the post from the outlinersoftware.com, IainB!  MagicalPad HD is pretty cool and I hadn't heard of it.  The one for the iPhone isn't on the app store, though...

wraith808:
Ah, I knew there had to be a catch. I’ve been using OneNote 2010 on my Windows PC, which I paid for. I just downloaded the free 2013 edition, which was working just fine until I tried to create a new page in one of the notebooks that I keep on my computer (instead of on SkyDrive), and got a messages saying “Subscribe to Office to continue using this notebook.” From the “Learn more” link:
Anyone can download and use the free version of OneNote. When you subscribe to Office 365 Home Premium for just $9.99 per month, you get the premium version of OneNote, which easily integrates with the other latest Office applications and comes with additional capabilities, including the ability to:
Create notebooks on your PC. Create notebooks saved to your hard drive (offline) in addition to being saved to your OneDrive. Being able to work with notebooks offline as well as online is great for anyone with a spotty network connection or those who are always on the go.
Support your business needs. Your notes are synced to your OneDrive for Business, so you and your teammates can collaborate easily. For added security, you can password-protect your notebooks. And with Office 365 you get the latest Office applications, which means you get a complete note-taking experience, with embedded Excel files and added Outlook tasks, meeting notes, and contacts.
Record your notes. Why just write or type your notes when you can video- or audio-record them at the same time? That way you’re sure not to miss any important information. Perfect for students and for those important meetings.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version