ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OneNote now on Mac as well, +FREE everywhere, + Cloud service powered.

<< < (3/12) > >>

4wd:
^^ Well, I've been spending some time setting this up in my OneDrive/OneNote.com account, ...-IainB (March 18, 2014, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know what you mean, I thought I'd install it to see what it's like ... it took longer than installing Windows from scratch ... twice.

Over two hours, due to the 1GB+ of download they don't mention, as @rgdot mentions above, and even though I selected, (at their recommendation), the x86 version I find that the x64 version is installed instead.

So, now to remove this bloated piece of ...

IainB:
@IainB - Let's rephrase that quote you posted a tiny bit to make it more accurate:
When we started OneNote we (i.e. Microsoft) set out to revolutionize the way Microsoft can capture, annotate, and recall all the ideas, thoughts, snippets and plans in your life. As many of you have attested, OneNote is the ultimate extension for your brain, but it’s not complete if it’s not instantly available everywhere to Microsoft and its 'good friends' in government and business. We’ve already made a lot of progress in that direction with our mobile, tablet and online web experiences. But there was still a gap. People frequently asked us for OneNote on Mac, and Microsoft needed more ways to capture and analyse your content and share it with government entities and corporations to aid in their never-ending 'fishing expeditions' to idenntify potential dissidents and IP license violators - along with all the other businesses who pay us well for "targeted marketing data" which we mine from your information stores.
--- End quote ---
"If you ain't the customer - you're the product."
Macintosh users welcome! ;D
-40hz (March 18, 2014, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly what I thought 40hz when I read the news.
-phitsc (March 18, 2014, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

^^ Yes, eggsaggerly so. Me too. I have no illusions about MS' motivation. I can only recall a few instances instance of MS having really done anything for "FREE". There's arguably "No such thing as free lunch" with MS. Hooks all over the place. In marketing they are very often at best the iron fist in a velvet glove, but at worst they sometimes seem to omit even the glove.

Bit of a rant:--------------------------
Google arguably have already overtaken MS to be the most innovative, inventive and smart marketing IT operation, and in the process they have introduced a lot of technology that has been disruptive/transformational - most of it successful/useful, some of it written off as failed ß experiments.
However, MS has a history of releasing product to grow/secure/consolidate market share and obliterate the competition, where doing something refreshingly disruptive/transformational seems to have been almost accidental. I don't intend that to mean that their products are not good - they are usually very good - it just means that their products seem often to have been deliberately hamstrung to achieve just a marketing objective - e.g., lock-in - and not necessarily major additional benefits to users. Like Apple, I suppose.

A good example might be the belated introduction of Power Pivot into Excel. This tremendously powerful tool automates a large part of complex cross-tabbing and data analysis of your data, which becomes much like a set of relational database tables. It has potentially bitten off a H-U-G-E chunk of the BI (Business Intelligence) market - but MS could probably have implemented this ages ago, if they had wanted, instead of stopping at just the chronic vlookup and Pivot Tables for as long as they did.

Another example could be Sticky Sorter (an Affinity Modelling tool) from MS Labs, now pretty much buried without trace. It even integrated with Excel for goodness' sake.
END of rant.--------------------------

IainB:
I've been spending some time setting this up in my OneDrive/OneNote.com account-IainB (March 18, 2014, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
You're a long-time user of OneNote, presumably the existing payware version.  Have you installed OneNote Cloud/free separately, or, how do the old payware and new free versions play together, please?
-rjbull (March 18, 2014, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I can't answer that. I would have to do a lot of work to test the FREE only version, so I am not going to do that. My interest is mostly in using my v2013 with the API functions/apps.:

* 1. OneNote Clipper for saving web pages to OneNote
* 2. [email protected] for emailing notes to OneNote
* 3. Office Lens for capturing documents and whiteboards with your Windows Phone
* 4. Sending blog and news articles to OneNote from Feedly, News360 and Weave
* 5. Easy document scanning to OneNote with Brother, Doxie Go, Epson, and Neat
* 6. Writing notes with pen and paper and sending them to OneNote with Livescribe
* 7. Mobile document scanning to OneNote with Genius Scan and JotNot
* 8. Having your physical notebooks scanned into OneNote with Mod Notebooks
* 9. Connecting your world to OneNote with IFTTT
So far, I don't have much use for 4., 7., and 8., but these are of interest:

* 1. OneNote Clipper looks rather nifty, but I am still trialling it. I am hoping it will make Scrapbook obsolete. Just what I was needing/wanting. We shall see.
* 2. [email protected] for emailing notes to OneNote. Very handy. Just what I was needing/wanting. Works out well in testing.
* 3. Office Lens for capturing documents and whiteboards with your Windows Phone. Amazing. Potentially very useful. Just what I was needing/wanting. Now all I need is a Windows phone, and this is a good reason for getting one (so I can test Office Lens).
* 5. Easy document scanning to OneNote with Brother, Doxie Go, Epson, and Neat. Could be very handy for me, using the Brother and Epson apps. Needs testing.
* 6. Writing notes with pen and paper and sending them to OneNote with Livescribe. Not sure about this yet, nor whether it duplicates the functionality of something else - e.g., (say) Office Lens.
* 9. Connecting your world to OneNote with IFTTT. Not sure about this yet.
Other points:

* I noted that OCR is built-in to the FREE package - which is just like v2007/v2013. I presume it does indexing/search of the OCRed content/images as do v2007/v2013.
* I don't know whether the FREE version does indexing/search of audio files like v2007/v2013.
By the way, there's some useful discussion on this over at OutlinerSoftware.com, where they are trying to identify some of the differences between the FREE and PAID components. It seems a bit confusing.

IainB:
...So, now to remove this bloated piece of ...
-4wd (March 18, 2014, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ruddy heck. Poor you.
I haven't installed the FREE version. I assumed it would not be problematic.
I am just looking at using my v2013 with the apps., as described above, and so do not need to install the FREE version. I already have MS Office Pro 2013 + OneDrive, on the client.

wraith808:
Given that evernote desktop is a fraction of that size, I'm not sure that I'm even going to try it on the computers that don't have it.  That's just way too much space for what it does.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version