ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OneNote now on Mac as well, +FREE everywhere, + Cloud service powered.

<< < (11/12) > >>

Innuendo:
The reasons for the Mac's apparent decline seem to hinge mainly on over-pricing (so reducing quantities sold as demand is price-elastic), an insistence on remaining a relatively closed black-box/proprietary system (so these two points led to fewer applications being developed), and considerably slowed forward technological development. The Mac thus appeals to a relatively narrow market nowadays.

The PC, on the other hand, seems to have evolved rapidly to generally catch up and then eclipse the Mac. It has become the lowest common denominator for computer technology. Especially important here is the growth in the domain of applications development - making the PC appealing to a relatively wide market. The PC has become a ubiquitous commodity with a progressively reducing price (in real terms) due to economies of large-scale production, produced to meet a correspondingly increasing demand (which is price-elastic).-IainB (March 22, 2014, 06:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now it's time for Fun With Words!!! The rules for playing are simple. Just take the excerpt from IainB's response above and replace the word 'Mac' with the word 'iOS', replace the word 'PC' with the word 'Android', and the term 'computer technology' with the term 'mobile technology'!  Aren't words fun?  8)

It's a fascinating study in technological evolution.
--- End quote ---

Apparently, it's also a fascinating study in history repeating itself. :)

IainB:
@40hz: That was it - Aldus, not Adobe. Thanks.
...Apparently, it's also a fascinating study in history repeating itself. :)
-Innuendo (March 22, 2014, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Eggsaggerly. Evolutionary technology innovation/churn. A recyclable process that has no doubt made many people rich.
It was probably all Samuel Crompton's fault, when, in about 1779, he invented the spinning mule and spinning jenny, thus sparking the Industrial Revolution.
Made Britain what it is today..Oh, wait...

40hz:
I sometimes suspect my mother's father was correct. He felt that American technology reached its peak with the Model-T Ford and began going steadily downhill shortly after that. ;D

40hz:
@40hz:[/b] That was it - Aldus, not Adobe. Thanks.
-IainB (March 22, 2014, 10:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. Some of us remember Aldus.

I also left out the other Mac biggy: Aldus Persuasion - a "presentation graphics" program. (Programs are what we called executables before the term "applications" came into vogue). Persuasion was the undisputed industry leader which blighted corporate meetings with superfluous bar charts and bulleted text long before Microsoft released PowerPoint.

8)

IainB:
I sometimes suspect my mother's father was correct. He felt that American technology reached its peak with the Model-T Ford and began going steadily downhill shortly after that. ;D
-40hz (March 22, 2014, 11:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know about its technology going steadily downhill shortly after that, but its ethics, national integrity and support of the Constitution certainly might have, by all reports...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version