ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OneNote now on Mac as well, +FREE everywhere, + Cloud service powered.

<< < (4/12) > >>

4wd:
...So, now to remove this bloated piece of ...
-4wd (March 18, 2014, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ruddy heck. Poor you.-IainB (March 18, 2014, 08:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Considering that Office 2013 Pro is only 1 CD, this should have been a 50MB installer download at the very most.

Inline with the Win8->8.1 update, yet another FU by Microsoft to anyone with a monthly data cap or a slow broadband connection.

IainB:
^^ Yes, if the software installation file size is a critical limit for software acceptance (maybe because of disk capacity constraint, or something), then it might be wise to avoid it.
I don't recall seeing how large all the installation files were that were downloaded for MS Office Pro 2013, but it didn't take all that long to download and install. If the installation file for the FREE version of just OneNote (including OneDrive) is over 1Gb, then it seems a tad excessive. By comparison, the Win8.iso install file was only 2.8Gb.

Some relevant posts worth reading on The Microsoft Office Blog

OneNote now on Mac as well, +FREE everywhere, + Cloud service powered.

Jibz:
So far, I don't have much use for 4., 7., and 8., but these are of interest:

* 1. OneNote Clipper looks rather nifty, but I am still trialling it. I am hoping it will make Scrapbook obsolete. Just what I was needing/wanting. We shall see.
* 2. [email protected] for emailing notes to OneNote. Very handy. Just what I was needing/wanting. Works out well in testing.
* 3. Office Lens for capturing documents and whiteboards with your Windows Phone. Amazing. Potentially very useful. Just what I was needing/wanting. Now all I need is a Windows phone, and this is a good reason for getting one (so I can test Office Lens).
* 5. Easy document scanning to OneNote with Brother, Doxie Go, Epson, and Neat. Could be very handy for me, using the Brother and Epson apps. Needs testing.
* 6. Writing notes with pen and paper and sending them to OneNote with Livescribe. Not sure about this yet, nor whether it duplicates the functionality of something else - e.g., (say) Office Lens.
* 9. Connecting your world to OneNote with IFTTT. Not sure about this yet.-IainB (March 18, 2014, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've spent the past half hour fighting with clipping to OneNote. I hope I am missing something, because it seem quite bad compared to Evernote.

The little clipper tool that sits in your tray has three options when you press Win-N:

* Take a screenshot - this gives you a crosshair you can use to drag over the area of the screen you wish to copy, no option to take a screenshot of a window only like in Evernote
* Send to OneNote - sounds great, but only works if you are clipping from IE or Office apps (and presumably whatever apps choose to support the OneNote clipping API), otherwise it's greyed out. By contrast, Evernote will clip from anything you can copy from, it happily clips from OneNote as well :P.
* New quick note - opens a little window with a blank note
1) I was trying to clip a single post from this thread from Chrome (I chose one by wraith808 due to the little banner). I highlighted the post, and this is what Win-A produces in Evernote:

I installed the Clip to OneNote button in my toolbar, and pressed that, after logging in to Live, and waiting for the desktop app to sync the note after clipping it, the result was this:

I then tried copying the highlighted post and opened a new OneNote note and pasted it, resulting in this:

Opening the page in IE and highlighting the post and using the Clipper tool to Send to OneNote produced a note with the entire thread in it instead of just the selected part.

Searching the web a bit, there seems to be some hacks involving a "Print to OneNote" printer driver that is also installed with OneNote, but that would send the entire page to OneNote again, so I gave up here.

Regarding 3) Office Lens, it looks really nice, shame that it's Windows Phone/Tablet only.

I think the big hurdle for Microsoft if they want to compete with Evernote is to get over themselves and stop making solutions that only work with other Microsoft products. Providing a clipping tool that only really works with IE and Office apps is just not good enough. Making a fancy document capture app, and then only making it available on Windows Phone is no good either.

Playing around with OneNote, I can see some advantages when collecting notes on a subject, it has better freeform editing, where Evernote feels much like a bunch of post-it notes. But Evernote excells at clipping random bits of information for later use.

IainB:
@Jibz: Was this experience (above) purely from using the FREE OneNote download/install? Was it the 32 or 64 bit version?

IainB:
Test of the OneNote Clipper bookmarklet "button" that you drag to Favorites:
My test results indicate that this takes an image of an entire web page (a scrolled-window image, much like Screenshot Captor, but without all the palaver associated with the latter), but:
(a) The image is of the entire web page, regardless of whether you have only selected/highlighted a part of the page.
(b) It doesn't seem to work in Firefox v28ß (could be my Firefox settings, I suppose).
(c) It works perfectly in IE11.

The way I work, my objective is usually to save selected parts, or all, of a web page in HTML format and often with attached/nested pages/files.
Thus I rarely take such images/screenshots, and the OneNote Clipper is not of much use to me.
However, when I want to capture an image of an entire scrolled web page, in future I shall consider using OneNote Clipper rather than SC (if I remember).
So, I shall continue to use Firefox with the Scrapbook extension for capturing part/all of a web page in HTML format (having come across nothing better with a non-proprietary format, or greater reliability so far).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version