ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Raymond.cc compares 20 Drive Imaging Tools

<< < (3/4) > >>

mikiem:
Regardless the tool(set) you choose to use, test it -- make sure restoration works on your hardware setup & you know how to use it. Sounds simple enough but I've read lots of complaints where folks lost everything because they couldn't fully restore a backup using the software they had been using for however long. Also test external drives if you use one to store your backups. If it won't work well outside Windows, e.g. using a boot disc, obviously that's a problem. If USB, doesn't hurt to check sustained data transfer either -- I've seen USB drives that seemed fine otherwise, but failed during backup restoration because of that sustained transfer. If you put the rescue disc ISO on a USB stick, test that on all your systems, &/or use CD/DVD -- mileage varies depending on USB stick & PC/laptop hardware.

Admittedly I just did a quick skim of the original article, but suspect the results are inaccurate in a couple or more cases... Why? Well Paragon for example includes disk integrity checks by default, as well as an option to protect your data in the event of power loss. Others such as Aomei do not. To get a valid speed comparison with Paragon the author needed to go into preferences & turn off those 2 features, but I didn't see any mention of that, though as I said I just skimmed the article & could have missed it.

Finally I have to question the whole concept of incremental backups with a disk/partition imaging app. Imaging works because you're moving raw data -- taking the time to look at that data as files/folders, & thus determine what needs to be backed up, increases the time it takes to backup, often by quite a lot. It also makes mounting backups [when possible] & restoration less efficient.

MilesAhead:
Regardless the tool(set) you choose to use, test it -- make sure restoration works on your hardware setup & you know how to use it.-mikiem (May 20, 2014, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is one thing that drives me a bit buggy about Macrium.  Seems I just make my restore USB, create a backup image, then boot the USB to make sure I can see the image and the HD.  OKJ, all is well.  Next time I run Reflect I get an update notice, we fixed a bug in the restore USB that could cause it to hang yadda yadda.  Back to the drawing board.  After awhile I just get tired of booting the damn machine.  :)

brotman:
to Raymond et. al.:

Great article!  Looks like it took a lot of work. but you were able to summarize it in a small table !awesome!

I missed seeing a write up of  Ocster's backup product "Ocster Backup 8" available in a free version a less expensive, simplified 1-click version and the more complete Pro and business versions
 (I have no connection other than  I purchased and use a copy of their Pro version 8 )

I think this product is notable because it is the only product I'm aware of which uses a method called "infinite reverse incremental backup". They claim a 50% smaller image using that! I'd love to see how Ocster stacks up against the other tools in your study.

their website is http://www.ocster.com/en  http://www.ocster.com/en. Just my $.02

Keep up the good work,  :Thmbsup:
Chuck Brotman

tomos:
I think this product is notable because it is the only product I'm aware of which uses a method called "infinite incremental backup".  I'd love to see how Ocster stacks up against the other tools in your study.

their website is http://www.ocster.com/en-brotman (May 22, 2014, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like the idea of a cheap & simple version - I've given up doing incremental versions anyway. Seems you can even browse the backups in the cheap version. Interface seems friendly / logical.

@Chuck, any experience with restoring? With or without incremental versions (? I never did have a problem with Acronis 8 or 9 restoring from an incremental version, but a lot of people seem to be wary of it).

As someone who turns off their computer when not using it, I'm wondering is it easy to save settings and do a manual backup (my experience there with Acronis and O&O has been abysmal in user-friendly terms) - (I see the Pro version covers that).

brotman:
@Chuck, any experience with restoring? With or without incremental versions (? I never did have a problem with Acronis 8 or 9 restoring from an incremental version, but a lot of people seem to be wary of it).
-tomos (May 22, 2014, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Tomos,

One of the advantages of the "infinite reverse incremental" method is that the latest version of the backup IS A COMPLETE CURRENT SNAPSHOT!  In other words, it includes all updates, incremental or otherwise.  Where it gets a little trickier is if you want to restore a not-the-latest version. (Thats what the "Reverse" means). In that case (I think) the extra files are those needed to get back to the desired previous level. Thankfully Ockster 8 Pro takes care of the logistics.  You just need to select the desired version from a drop down list.  I have done several successful restores to both the most recent and not-most-recent backups.

On a related note, I called Ockster support and the tech was only too happy to talk with me about the details.  The gist of that discussion was you can safely delete older files (ie. older than the CURRENT snapshot) hen you do you dont't affect the current snapshot -- only the ones of the dates you deleted and before.  Overall I've been quite satisfied with the product...

Chuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version