ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Raymond.cc compares 20 Drive Imaging Tools

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Nice comparison of Drive Imaging backup tools -- both free and commercial.  Focused mainly on speed differences.

Overall Summary:

AOMEI Backupper excelled in all tests bar one. When you consider its features compared to other free backup software, and the fact it’s free for personal and commercial use, Backupper is really worth looking at. Although it never won any of the main tests, we have to commend Acronis True Image for producing consistently strong results in all tests while showing no real weaknesses.

Both Macrium Reflect and ShadowProtect were also strong but each had a weakness in at least one area. EaseUs Todo Backup was good at backup speed but slow at restoration while AX64 was generally fast with its no frills ease of use philosophy. The higher compression and portability of Drive Snapshot makes it useful as a backup and restore from anywhere type of tool.

Obviously these tests are only one part of how well a particular backup software works, testing for other factors such as reliability and stability are simply not possible unless a program is tested in multiple scenarios over a period of weeks or months. But one thing you wouldn’t want from your backup software is for it to work inefficiently, because don’t forget, these results will be magnified the more data you are backing up or restoring.

--- End quote ---

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/10-commercial-disk-imaging-software-features-and-backuprestore-speed-comparison/

Vurbal:
I notice EaseUS ToDo showed similar performance which matches my personal experience using the free version for a few months now. I'll be buying it sooner or later.

mouser:
I've been using Macrium free very happily for a couple of years now, but I'm a big fan of Easus partition management tools, so I may have to switch to Easus.

Though I will note that speed is of secondary concern to me -- reliability of restoration is at the top -- and that's something reviews have a hard time addressing.

Vurbal:
I've been using Macrium free very happily for a couple of years now, but I'm a big fan of Easus partition management tools, so I may have to switch to Easus.

Though I will note that speed is of secondary concern to me -- reliability of restoration is at the top -- and that's something reviews have a hard time addressing.
-mouser (March 17, 2014, 08:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It definitely is. I've had good experiences with restoring but in both cases I was going back to a clean Windows 7 install image.

40hz:
+1w/mouser on reliability. If you don't have confidence in them in that regard, everything else becomes moot.

For that reason I think I'll just stick with Clonezilla and Macrium. Been using both for years and neither has ever let me down when I needed them. In my world "known good" trumps "new and improved" or "something better" when it come to this type of software.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version