ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

OneNote is now free

<< < (4/6) > >>

Deozaan:
It seems Microsoft has removed all feature restrictions and now OneNote is completely free (as in price) instead of freemium:

Microsoft makes OneNote for Windows completely free by removing all feature restrictions

x16wda:
Worth downloading for sure.

Worth using?

IainB:
Worth downloading, yes, but note that it seems to be for the Cloud-only variant.
Worth using? Yes, probably, but as always it would depend on one's requirements.

My requirements necessitate the Client-based (laptop) variant, with sync to the OneNote/OneDrive Cloud.
Whilst I am still not entirely happy with some aspects/functionality of it, it's 80% or more of the way there, and there's nothing else quite like it in the market to meet my requirements otherwise, so I'm using it mightily. It gets better as it gets updated, and the busy Onetastic "forum" for add-ons and macros help to make it incrementally more useful.

At the $10 commercial home use option though, MS Office is a steal, and it includes the OneNote Client and integrates brilliantly with with it. Makes it a no-brainer as far as I am concerned.

Steven Avery:
At the $10 commercial home use option though, MS Office is a steal, and it includes the OneNote Client and integrates brilliantly with with it. Makes it a no-brainer as far as I am concerned. -IainB (February 14, 2015, 06:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds good even if the main use is the OneNote Client.  Do you have the url or more info? I looked around a bit.

Right now, my main PC has licensed Office 2007 (Craigslist Dell purchase) which has a OneNote 2007 implementation with tabs both on top and left side, a bit unusual.  Nice looking.  However, I don't want to bother if I can figger out how to get the new free one and it is better.  For OneNote I don't mind cloud-based. I'll look around for that url and download.

Ok, I found this:

Home Use Program
http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx

Maybe it is dependent on your working with a biz that has Office?
"You need a program code from your employer to be eligible."

==============================================

Here is MakeUseOf going through hoops, jumps and swirls to try to get free Office.

Use Microsoft Office for Free with Microsoft Web Apps
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/microsoft-office-free-microsoft-web-apps/

That is one of the problem of looking for fully free.  Sometimes the very best is low-cost, not free, and you would waste time and effort.

===============================================

and the busy Onetastic "forum" for add-ons and macros -IainB (February 14, 2015, 06:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I found the Onetastic site, didn't find a forum.  And the Office forum apparently dances around Onetastic. Are you actually referring to a forum or to a "forum" ?

Steven

Innuendo:
Ok, I found this:

Home Use Program
http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx

Maybe it is dependent on your working with a biz that has Office?
"You need a program code from your employer to be eligible."-Steven Avery (February 14, 2015, 07:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

From the FAQ on their web site:

Who qualifies for the Home Use Program (HUP)?

The Home Use Program is a Software Assurance benefit available to Microsoft volume licensing customers with active Software Assurance coverage on their Office applications.  Employees who use the covered licenses at work are eligible to purchase these Office applications for use on a home PC during the term of their employment.  This temporary license expires with the employers Software Assurance coverage, or upon termination of employment with the covered customer.

It's a really great deal if your employer is a Microsoft volume licensing customer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version