ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

OneNote is now free

<< < (5/6) > >>

IainB:
Just some notes, following my comments and others', above. Sorry I was in a rush and did not put these in earlier. These are some potentially useful links:

* 7breaths - occasionally has some good user posts about OneNote.

* Engineering OneNote Blog - very informative and worth a read, but now closed, with Onetastic (Omer Atay) kind of picking up the threads.

* MS Office Answers (all OneNote discussions) - potentially informative and useful if you want to see what problems/queries other users are having or need advice about OneNote. A busy forum. Make posts there if there is something you feel you have to offer to help.

* Office OneNote Gem Add-Ins - Commercial ($PAID) and proprietary add-ins that mostly seem to do what you can probably do with OneTastic macros ($FREE), so I haven't wanted to use any of these add-ins, and cannot really comment. Probably useful for users who haven't got the knowledge or expertise to use Onetastic macros.

* OneNote Office Blog - mostly product news.

* Onetastic - I describe it as a "forum" because you can post comments and also upload your own-developed macros to share with other users. There are a few seriously useful OneNote macros or add-ins on this forum/website. The macro language is under ongoing development, and not all the macro commands can necessarily use all of the functionality of OneNote and get the expected result (from my experience of writing some macros).

* MS Office 2013 US$9.95 Corporate/Enterprise Home Use Program - Mini-Review - on DC Forum.

* Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks - on DC Forum.

Steven Avery:
Thanks!

====

How to Back Up Your Notebooks in OneNote 2013
http://www.solveyourtech.com/how-to-back-up-your-notebooks-in-onenote-2013/

====

The Houston Chronicle small business section
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/

seems to specialize in short articles that tackle individual tasks.
I made this list using the google advanced search on the domain, saving urls to Linkman with a spot of cut-and-paste keyword specialty, and then OCR with Abbyy Screenshot Reader.

Can You Link Excel With OneNote?
Collaborating in Office 365
Connecting Android to MS OneNote via MobileNoter
Deleting OneNote Pages on an iPhone
Embedding YouTube in OneNote
Evernote Vs. Microsoft OneNote
Here's What You Need To Know About Office Online And OneDrive, Microsoft's Latest Alternative To Google Docs (MSFT)
How to Access OneNote for Android
How to Add to OneNote in Firefox
How to Align Text in OneNote
How to Back Up OneNote
How to Change Note Names in OneNote for iPhone
How to Change OneNote Files to Evernote
How to Convert a PDF to OneNote
How to Create a Calendar in OneNote
How to Create an RTF Document From Microsoft Office & Word
How to Create Company Letterhead in OneNote
How to Disable Microsoft OneNote
How to Edit a Scanned Document in Word
How to Enable Add-Ons in OneNote for a Printer Driver From Outlook
How to Export OneNote to OpenOffice
How to Format Normal Paragraphs in OneNote
How to Import Word Into OneNote 2007
How to Make Address Labels in OneNote
How to Make OneNote Make Text Note Card Size
How to Open an EMF
How to Open an MDI File
How to Open OneNote on a Mac
How to Print a DOS Screen (Onenote used for OCR)
How to Protect From Editing in Shared OneNote
How to Resize Inserted Printouts in OneNote
How to Restore From Back Up on OneNote
How to Retrieve Files From Microsoft Office OneNote
How to Save Lost Data in Microsoft Office OneNote
How to Save OneNote to Google Docs
How to Scan a PDF Into Word
How to Scan Documents & Save in Word
How to Send Gmail to OneNote
How to Send to OneNote 2007 From Outlook
How to Start Microsoft Side Note
How to Sync a OneNote and iPod | Chron.com
How to Sync Notes Between an IPad & an Android Device
How to Transfer From Livescribe to MS OneNote
How to Use a Scanner to Read Comma Separated Values
Microsoft Prepares Its Attack On Evernote (MSFT) - Houston Chronicle
Syncing OneNote on an iPhone With a Computer
The Advantages of Using Both Evernote & OneNote   - **
What Microsoft Product Is Good for Outlining a Business Plan?
Why Does Microsoft Office Give Me Such a Hard Time With Spacing?
Zoho vs. OneNote

Steven

IainB:
^^ That's looks like an interesting list. I shall have to go through those one by one.

Steven Avery:
Hi,

I'm comparing the Onenote 2007 that is incidentally on my system with the new Onenote 2013, now fully free.

2007 can be run fully in a home-base desktop mode, while the 2013 free is a cloud item with no home-disk access (other than a type of backup).  
Is there a 2013 paid that is architecturally more like the 2007?  What would be the most economical way to do that, ignoring the rest of Office.

The color is more vivid in the 2007. This might be a question though of modern cloud thinking, and able to be adjusted. (Style-sheet?). Or simply a style preference.

2007 has dropdown menus, the 2013 has the ribbon interface.

2007 comes with three built-in notebooks, one a Onenote 2007 Guide, the other two function as templates, and are rather decent, personal and work.  I might make copies of these and actually use the notebooks.  Is there any equivalent in the cloud ?

Related to this, and also a general question ... can 2007 Notebooks be exported to the 2013 cloud with no difficulty?  
(This leads to a few questions as to whether you are trying to synch, or simply allow external web viewing.)

2007 has each notebook as "tab on left" type of indexing, while 2013 set up an index page that acts as like a cover book.  While I prefer 2007 for speed of switching, the 2013 might have some nice aspects. Oh, the two tabs on bottom left 2007 "All Notebooks List" and "Unfiled Notes" are nice, I don't see an equivalent in 2013.

2007 has a very nice toolbar implementation, which is apparently quite limited within the ribbon interace in 2013.

If you do have the 2007 available, and prefer working from the desktop file, what advantages are there in 2013?
And is there an inexpensive way of having the 2007 home-base utility in 2013?

===========================

From the pictures here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=31755.0

I see the "Page List" sidebar, yet the word sidebar does not appear in the Onenote help.

The small tabs on the left.
Are those pages moved over from the starting spot on the right? Or something else.

==========================

Additional questions.

Is there any way to get a box line around rectangles on a page? (when it is not in focus.)
Same question about background color inside the rectangle?
Can a whole Onenote page have a background (e.g. corkboard, cream color?)

==========================

Overall, I am rather impressed, I still like the way that you can avoid the white space problem with multiple boxes.
Though I see it has, overall, lots of nice stuff.  I'm not sure I would like it to be too cloud oriented.

Steven

Curt:
Because it suddenly is free, I installed OneNote 2013 on my Win 7, for testing. Having now removed the program, using Revo Uninstaller Pro > Advanced, there are still a lot of OneNote entries in the various right-click context menus. How disappointing! Can "you" (anyone) help me, please, to remove these?
 :tellme:
-------------------------

Oops, silly me! OneNote 2013 did not overwrite OneNote 2010, so I still have that one installed. Never used, but forgotten.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version