ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What happens when Hollywood gets involved with a Kickstarter

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
I love Ultraviolet, at least when included with Blu-ray combo packs. This means I get a Blu-ray copy for myself, a DVD copy to give to someone I like, and an Ultraviolet code to give to someone I secretly loathe. It looks like I'm giving them a gift, but they have to deal with Ultraviolet digital copies. I will never use an Ultraviolet code myself.

--- End quote ---

Personally, the only reason I use it is because my TV and blu-ray player support it.  I'd never install that PoC on my computer...
-wraith808 (March 17, 2014, 08:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

My mom will often give me the ultraviolet codes. Most of which are redeemable through VUDU, which is a pretty awful digital video platform (and the Android app is horrible). But somehow I got lucky and was able to redeem one of them on Google Play. I wish they all did that. Almost all of them have an iTunes option, so why not a Google Play option?

40hz:
Almost all of them have an iTunes option, so why not a Google Play option?
-Deozaan (March 18, 2014, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably for the same reason half the movie studios and networks seem so intent on squeezing Netflix out lately. It works too well - and they don't control it.

(And iTunes is as rabid about DRM and proprietary platforms as the studios are. So that was a match made in heaven as far as the media old guard is concerned. Not that Google is all that much better once you get beyond outward appearances IMHO. :)

wraith808:
And iTunes is as rabid about DRM and proprietary platforms as the studios are.
-40hz (March 18, 2014, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

On some things (and movies are one of those things, as far as I can see).  But on others, they've loosened the reins.  I'm actually able to buy music from iTunes now and get the non-DRM'd versions, so that's a win for me.

Deozaan:
Almost all of them have an iTunes option, so why not a Google Play option?
-Deozaan (March 18, 2014, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably for the same reason half the movie studios and networks seem so intent on squeezing Netflix out lately. It works too well - and they don't control it.

(And iTunes is as rabid about DRM and proprietary platforms as the studios are. So that was a match made in heaven as far as the media old guard is concerned. Not that Google is all that much better once you get beyond outward appearances IMHO. :)
-40hz (March 18, 2014, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, it's definitely still DRM, but it's convenient and it works well. All I need to do is sign into my account and I can watch it anywhere and on all of my devices (especially with a Chromecast dongle).

The VUDU app, however, is awful, cumbersome, annoying, and more. Bleh!  >:(

Vurbal:
The reason Google gets squat is because they refuse to stop stealing from content producer's. No I don't believe that, but yes most of the bigshots in legacy content industries believe some or all of the following.

Google refuses to rework their search algorithms to eliminate illegal offerings. They do this partly to generate traffic, but primarily to sell ads on illegal sites when they could easily make them go away

YouTube, not an addiction to throwing away $200 million a pop on movies written by executive committee, is the reason people don't buy what Hollywood tells them to.

Google TV is all about stealing from the broadcasters because otherwise consumers would be happy to ante up for endless price hikes with money they don't have.

Google = the Internet but Apple = the entertainment industry

Also, this:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version