ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

jv16 PowerTools - using Indiegogo to 'fund'' open-sourcing it

(1/5) > >>

mwb1100:
Macecraft has an Indiegogo fundraiser that has a target of $100K - if they meet the target, they have committed to releasing the source to jv16 Powertools under the GPL.  If the fundraiser meets some higher targets, they'll release under a more liberal open source license.

- http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jv16-powertools-as-open-source

I'm not sure what to think about this exactly.  Interesting, if nothing else.

I haven't been a fan of registry cleaners for a long while now (and I *think* that's what jv16 Powertools' main function is), but I guess a quality open source package would be a good thing.

If I correctly understand all the updates they've posted, a $10 pledge will get you a jv16 license immediately, so you can consider it a sale of sorts.

But be aware!  This crowdsource fundraiser will immediately charge you for a pledge, even if the goal is never met.  I'm not very experienced with these things, but it was my understanding that the usual rule was that pledges didn't get charged unless the goal was met.

At the moment, they stand at $37K of the $100K goal, with 11 days remaining.

40hz:
Hmm...this is an odd one. But I think I have a pretty good idea of what's going on with this.

I've also got a few things I want to say about the entire proposition that will have to wait until I get a little more time to post.

But be aware!  This crowdsource fundraiser will immediately charge you for a pledge, even if the goal is never met.  I'm not very experienced with these things, but it was my understanding that the usual rule was that pledges didn't get charged unless the goal was met.
-mwb1100 (March 12, 2014, 10:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point! But it's important to note that that's primarily Kickstarter's rule. And since Kickstarter was the earliest and most successful crowdfunding aggregator, it has (mostly) become the norm for crowdfunding in general. But it's not a legal requirement.

Different aggregators can adopt whatever rules they want. And those rules can be expanded (i.e. made "flexible") or change with little notice. So it's always good to read the fine print. Because Kickstarter is a business - not a public service.

Later! :Thmbsup:

jpfx:
IMO it's a dead (very) product and macecraft is laughing all the way to the bank.
does it go 'open source' (whoopee) when it doesn't reach $100,000?
does macecraft just pocket what money was funded?

you do get a lifetime license for a dead product.

Curt:
The well respected charter member is entitled to think whatever thoughts he may want to, but allow me to quote another well respected charter member:

Macecraft has historically been anything but greedy.  Freeware for years, JV16 Power Tools is now a modest $29.95.  Yearly upgrade fees are $6.95.  This is their (pretty damn relaxed) policy on licensing for personal users.  There's no activation or other baggage.

"A single personal license can be used with up to five personal computers at your home if the computers are mainly used only by you or the members of your family."-mrainey (June 29, 2010, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

The point being that some of us believes Jouni Vuorio (author & owner of Macecraft JV16) to be quite okay; you know, "our kind of guy".

I don't know if JV16 will exist tomorrow, but until further notice JV16 is regularly updated.

On another angle, Jouni Vuorio has on more than one occasion acted somewhat "naive".

40hz:
On another angle, Jouni Vuorio has on more than one occasion acted somewhat "naive".
-Curt (March 13, 2014, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you Curt! I was going to write a bit more about this. But upon reflection, after reading the above, I think your choice of the word "naive" succinctly summed up everything I had to say.

So I'm going to let it go and just say +1 w/Curt. ;) ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version