ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

*NIX: Relatively Minimal Host OS for VirtualBox Use

<< < (13/17) > >>

ewemoa:
BTW, I'm going to try using that nearly-bare-Debian-with-VirtualBox set up as my host OS and install Gentoo Prefix for additional software (perhaps I'll also try Nix and/or Guix).
-ewemoa (May 30, 2014, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was informed on the #gentoo-prefix channel that Debian is not currently supported :(  But rumor has it that this might start working at some point in the future...

In the mean time had some success installing the Nix package manager.  One benefit of having this on the somewhat minimal system is that packages for the purpose of running the underlying system (and providing VM support) can be kept separate from other things (such as web browsers, video players, etc.).

ewemoa:
On a related note, I had luck installing and running VirtualBox via the live media for Linux Mint 17 Cinammon -- now if they'd just bundle it or make remastering more practical again...

40hz:
or make remastering more practical again...
-ewemoa (June 02, 2014, 03:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Last I heard mintconstructor still works. You can find copies too if you Google. Haven't tried it with 17 (or 16 if truth be told) so I don't know if it is still reliable, I wouldn't put it past them to change some tiny detail in Qiana so it didn't. Clement was pretty miffed to begin with. And the brat-slap he got back from the larger Mint community about yanking mintconstructor did little to dispel his mood.

ewemoa:
Thanks for the info about mintconstructor.

I'm currently trying to create a custom version of SystemRescueCD, but it's a fair bit more involved than what I'll want to do on an ongoing basis.  There appears to be support for a backingstore though:

http://www.sysresccd.org/news/2008/06/29/creating-a-backing-store-to-keep-your-modifications-in-sysresccd/

Hmm...may be I should look for something like that for LM...I end up using USB memory of some sort anyway for speed reasons...

Looks like there is:

http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-linux-mint-persistent-live-usb/

40hz:
I've heard from some that Ubu's remastering tool (UCK) works just fine with Mint.

Don't know how true that is - or how well it does if it does. Here's the most recent how-to I could find for Ubuntu remastering in case you want to take a look.

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version