ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video Editors

<< < (14/16) > >>

Happy Expat:
Hopefully your recorder is of the newer and far superior DVD+VR type rather than the older and nearly useless DVD-VR. It almost certainly is the newer variety unless it requires DVD-RAM media which IIRC is a requirement for DVD-VR.
-Vurbal (March 10, 2014, 01:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
No such luck RAM, -RW & -R............Saves having to put the cable back on

Happy Expat:
That EU silliness isn't confined to recorders, any recordable material - Tapes, DVDs CDs USB sticks and after-market HDDs all carry a duty. The motivation being - if you can record you will undoubtedly record copyright material, so they collect the reproduction rights up-front and distribute to the various copyright protection agencies. They're talking about slapping the duties on smart-phones too! That's why it's not illegal to access streamed copyright material here - we've already paid the fees!

Happy Expat:
I think it's time to go back a little.

Originally;-

I captured the stream with EZCAP and Showbiz written to MPEG2.
I then used Audacity to capture the audio and Power Sound Editor to twin the single STEREO track into two MONO tracks.
I then used POWER Director 10 to clip out the original audio and insert the twin track MONO - simply to balance the sound distribution. Saved as MPEG4.
I now propose to use PD10 to cut it into scenes and remove the dross.

Is the resultant file likely to have suffered significant loss in the process?

Should I now see if PD10 can actually capture the primary stream from the EZCAP (or an appropriate DVD recorder) and hopefully (remembering that ShowBiz slugged the AAC CODEC), correctly handle the MONO audio?

In this manner I can probably undertake "one" project to capture, correct the audio if required, cut the dross and save the final file. Only one file from capture to final cut - hopefully with minimal potential for conversion losses.

I have to say that the output from the EZCAP, even after all my "editing", appears to match that from the CAMCORDER when the source tapes are simply played back through a compatible TV, so I don't think I need to worry too much about superior transfer capabilities as I only have what I've already got as a source tape.

Qualifier - Serious Amateur Status, with the divine right to spout bulls**t and sufficient time available to simply re-capture from the original tapes, and follow the experts' advice :)

4wd:
I captured the stream with EZCAP and Showbiz written to MPEG2.
I then used Audacity to capture the audio and Power Sound Editor to twin the single STEREO track into two MONO tracks.
I then used POWER Director 10 to clip out the original audio and insert the twin track MONO - simply to balance the sound distribution. Saved as MPEG4.
I now propose to use PD10 to cut it into scenes and remove the dross.

Is the resultant file likely to have suffered significant loss in the process?-Happy Expat (March 11, 2014, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Rather than export the file as MPEG4 from PD10 and then working on that file, I would have done the scene cuts in PD10 at the same time as the sound work - this way it's only recoded once.

I assuming that PD10 doesn't re-encode just needed parts - it may, it may not but why take the chance?

You should be able to save the project so that you can come back to it later, saves unnecessary encodes.

Should I now see if PD10 can actually capture the primary stream from the EZCAP (or an appropriate DVD recorder) and hopefully (remembering that ShowBiz slugged the AAC CODEC), correctly handle the MONO audio?
--- End quote ---

Yes, if you can reduce the number of encoding steps to one all the better.

Qualifier - Serious Amateur Status, with the divine right to spout bulls**t and sufficient time available to simply re-capture from the original tapes, and follow the experts' advice :)
--- End quote ---

As long as I'm allowed the same, spout BS that is :)

Happy Expat:

As long as I'm allowed the same, spout BS that is :)

--- End quote ---

If you feel the need - be my guest ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version