ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video Editors

<< < (13/16) > >>

Happy Expat:
Actually, I think I've got another one in the attic with a similar spec.
Unfortunately, something went wrong on the recording side so disks were rarely readable once recording sessions were closed.
I intended to turn the lasers into light-pens but never got around to it.

Happy Expat:
Your best bet is probably to focus on finding a more general purpose editor that has such a feature (most of them do) and figuring out whether it can be tuned to do what you want.

The general feature you're looking for is typically called scene detection........
-Vurbal (March 05, 2014, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I should have paid more attention to your first post on the topic and thoroughly investigated what I already had.
But I've now got the bug, so I can't wait to play with pipelining the Camcorder through the DVD and seeing what happens.
Clearly, more time on my hands than the sense to do something leisurely with it.

Vurbal:
Hopefully your recorder is of the newer and far superior DVD+VR type rather than the older and nearly useless DVD-VR. It almost certainly is the newer variety unless it requires DVD-RAM media which IIRC is a requirement for DVD-VR.

Assuming it is the +VR variety I believe Power Producer can work with them. If for some reason they aren't readable from a regular DVD player you may still be able to extract the video in Power Producer for editing or just to save as standard MPEG PS (MPEG Program Stream) files.

Also, if the recorder has an option to record in either DVD+VR or standard DVD-Video format you should choose the latter to make your life easier.

4wd:
Digressing a bit:

You do have to be a little careful since I seem to recall not every Digital8 camera included support for reading Hi8. I'm guessing this is limited to first generation units but that really is just a guess.-Vurbal (March 10, 2014, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's why I mentioned model dependent but the situation was worse in Europe because of Government greed.

A lot of camcorder models were crippled deliberately by the manufacturers because of EU tax laws.

Briefly:

* If a camcorder recorded video through the lens, (ie. normal operation), it was classed as a camera recorder and the manufacturer was taxed as such.
* If the camcorder could also record through its inputs, (firewire, USB, A/V), it was also classed as a video recorder, (ie. the equivalent of a VCR), and the tax for that was also added to the camcorder tax, (ie. double taxation).
So the manufacturers in order to avoid paying the import duty for a VCR on camcorders, removed that functionality from a lot of models.

I have a nEUtered Sony DCR TRV-10e that, (as opposed to the Australian version), did not record via Firewire and the complete analog digitiser circuitry is not installed.  However, input via Firewire could be enabled by the interfacing of the LANC port with a computer serial port and a little hex editing :)

Assuming that's not an option, my first recommendation for analog capture would actually be an external Canopus DV converter.
--- End quote ---

Completely forgot about them, I was hoping to get one when I was doing all my video transfers but could never scrape up the money or they weren't around when I did have the money :/

My next choice after that was going to be a TV card with a hardware encoder which are still available.

Vurbal:
Digressing a bit:

You do have to be a little careful since I seem to recall not every Digital8 camera included support for reading Hi8. I'm guessing this is limited to first generation units but that really is just a guess.-Vurbal (March 10, 2014, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's why I mentioned model dependent but the situation was worse in Europe because of Government greed.

A lot of camcorder models were crippled deliberately by the manufacturers because of EU tax laws.

Briefly:

* If a camcorder recorded video through the lens, (ie. normal operation), it was classed as a camera recorder and the manufacturer was taxed as such.
* If the camcorder could also record through its inputs, (firewire, USB, A/V), it was also classed as a video recorder, (ie. the equivalent of a VCR), and the tax for that was also added to the camcorder tax, (ie. double taxation).
So the manufacturers in order to avoid paying the import duty for a VCR on camcorders, removed that functionality from a lot of models.

I have a nEUtered Sony DCR TRV-10e that, (as opposed to the Australian version), did not record via Firewire and the complete analog digitiser circuitry is not installed.  However, input via Firewire could be enabled by the interfacing of the LANC port with a computer serial port and a little hex editing :)
-4wd (March 10, 2014, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yet another tidbit I lost in the recesses of my memory. Now that you mention it I seem to remember reading complaints about that silliness. OTOH my big complaint with my Canon miniDV camcorder was the lack of S-Video in (even though it had S-Video out) which I considered a significant flaw.

Assuming that's not an option, my first recommendation for analog capture would actually be an external Canopus DV converter.
--- End quote ---

Completely forgot about them, I was hoping to get one when I was doing all my video transfers but could never scrape up the money or they weren't around when I did have the money :/

--- End quote ---

I really wanted an ADVC-300 for the longest time. It was really more of a prosumer unit thanks to the reportedly excellent TBC (time based correction) circuitry. I believe that was what made it so much more expensive than the ADVC-100.

My next choice after that was going to be a TV card with a hardware encoder which are still available.

--- End quote ---

I don't think I've ever seen any particularly positive comments about any consumer hardware encoder cards but that includes the Sony card I had and it really was excellent. And unlike my camera it did have S-Video in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version