ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video Editors

<< < (11/16) > >>

4wd:
On the old XP box I do have firewire but not on this 8.1 machine.-Happy Expat (March 09, 2014, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

The XP machine should have no problem, you'd need about 20GB per 90 minutes.  As long as it's not doing something else CPU or HDD intensive you should be fine.

I use to do all my DV editing on an old 1600+ Athlon XP machine.

Happy Expat:
Hi Vurbal:
I've installed and tried VirtualVCR on the XP box - seems fairly frustration free.
I have a couple of observations:-
Video format properties did indeed default to the NTSC version you intimated but I noticed your own example was showing PAL and being in Europe I originally thought I would need to set PAL as well. I did however leave it at the default NTSC and it seemed to work fine - confused!
When I tried to adjust the audio volume input level it refused any changes from the default -99db, although after I eventually reset the audio channels to mono I did seem to get the correct amount of audio from both speakers. Not an issue, just wondered why it wouldn't let me change it!
I also observed that the Default Video Frame setting was 320x240 as you can see from the image below

But, the preview monitor showed 640x480 which I believe is probably the source definition. Again, playback through VLC and just about everything else I've tried seems to be the correct ratio so it's probably not a problem - just more confusion. Yeah, you're right ...I seem to be easily confused.

I've attached below, the statistics produced by both VVCR and MediaInfo. If you could give them a quick look and verify they're what's to be expected it would be greatly appreciated.
hidden textCapture Stats
Frames Captured: 1296
Frames Dropped1: 6
Frames Dropped2: 0
Time : 00:00:52
Time Left: 01:32:49
Free Space: 85,197,041,664
Video Bytes: 795,648,000
Audio Bytes: 4,586,400
Total Bytes: 800,234,400
Video Bytes Sec: 15,209,374
Audio Bytes Sec: 87,672
Total Bytes Sec: 15,297,046
Video Compression: 1.001
Video Rate: 25.195656
Audio Rate: 44108.632918
AV Diff: 0.007630
AV Adjust: 0.000000
AV Actual: 0.000000

hidden textGeneral
Complete name                            : C:\Users\Colin\Desktop\VVCRCapture\capture (2014-03-09 at 12-11-55).avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
File size                                : 768 MiB
Duration                                 : 52s 0ms
Overall bit rate                         : 124 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : YUV
Codec ID                                 : YUY2
Codec ID/Info                            : YUV 4:2:2 as for UYVY but with different component ordering within the u_int32 macropixel
Duration                                 : 43s 210ms
Bit rate                                 : 147 Mbps
Width                                    : 640 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
Compression mode                         : Lossless
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 16.000
Stream size                              : 759 MiB (99%)

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings, Endianness              : Little
Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Duration                                 : 52s 0ms
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 411.2 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 8.75 MiB (1%)
Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration                     : 208 ms (6.23 video frames)

Now I've got the potential to produce some truly massive unadulterated files, presumably all I need to do is any final editing and then save them out in an acceptable compressed format.

I did observe that both VLC Media Player and the editing monitor with Showbiz seemed to be reproducing as though it were a slow stream over the internet. Could that be because the x86 processor was struggling with the shear volume of data throughput or is it indicative of other issues. I've yet to try the same files and functions on this machine as I rather wanted to get my observations organised first. Will be assessing that as soon as I post this and will update as appropriate.

Happy Expat:
Now tried one of the files with VLC on the faster machine and audio is about 7 seconds out of sync, although the video doesn't now seem to be a slow internet stream.

4wd:
Hi Vurbal:-Happy Expat (March 09, 2014, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was me actually, I see I did manage to muddy the waters :)

Video format properties did indeed default to the NTSC version you intimated but I noticed your own example was showing PAL and being in Europe I originally thought I would need to set PAL as well.
--- End quote ---

I thought you were in the USA at the time, that's why I mentioned the NTSC settings.  Now I know you're in Europe your settings should have been the same as mine except for the Format which might be different from the PAL-B we had in Australia.

I did however leave it at the default NTSC and it seemed to work fine - confused!
--- End quote ---

It's the wrong frame rate.  As you can see from your two texts outputs above, VirtualVCR is trying to capture at close to 25fps, (PAL), because that's what the EzyCAP is reporting the source is, whereas MediaInfo is reporting 29.97fps, (NTSC), because that's what you've told it to capture at.

This will cause A/V sync problems as you found.

When I tried to adjust the audio volume input level it refused any changes from the default -99db, although after I eventually reset the audio channels to mono I did seem to get the correct amount of audio from both speakers. Not an issue, just wondered why it wouldn't let me change it!
--- End quote ---

It's dependent on the capture device because the EzyCAP performs the digital conversion in the device it probably automatically adjusts for audio gain - so it's probably not necessary to adjust volume for it.

I also observed that the Default Video Frame setting was 320x240 as you can see from the image below
--- End quote ---

The Use Custom Setting isn't checked so it's ignored - which is why I didn't mention it ;)

It will default to the resolution of the capture device and this is where we come to with this:

But, the preview monitor showed 640x480 which I believe is probably the source definition.
--- End quote ---

640x480 is not the resolution of the video source, it's 720x576 - standard PAL.

This is why I don't use the EzyCAP because it's default resolution isn't a television one - it's 640x480, which is standard VGA resolution.

I used it once - the only resolution I could get it to capture at was 640x480, which is definitely not the normal PAL resolution of 720x576.  At that point the EzyCAP was consigned to the cupboard never to see the light of day again.

I didn't care if it was scaling the input signal to produce a nice square pixel output, I wanted the full video frame to work with - which is why I switched to an internal TV card for capture.

I've attached below, the statistics produced by both VVCR and MediaInfo. If you could give them a quick look and verify they're what's to be expected it would be greatly appreciated.
--- End quote ---

As I mentioned above, you're capturing at the wrong frame rate, you need to set it for the same as I show in my post.

If that doesn't work then under Settings->Video, check the Use Custom Settings and set them to: 720x576 (may or may not be honoured); Colour Format YUY2; Frame Rate 25.00.

If VVCR complains because of the resolution then you might have to change it to 640x480.

Happy Expat:
My apologies to both of you. I hadn't noticed the change of roles and thought I was still talking to Vurbal about the current capture facilities and 4wd about the scope for the Sony HandyCam :-[.
BTW Vurbal, I have noticed your aversion to, Sony ---- Their appalling treatment of GEOHOT and the independent developer community in general?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version