ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video Editors

<< < (4/16) > >>

Curt:
my main concern was that a screenshot most likely would produce a very large picture, and though large pictures work wonderful well on desktop monitors, they doesn't work at all on smart phone screens. The new generation of youngsters all use smart phones.

Anyway, forgive me having made noise, I will now keep silent and enjoy your teaching on video editing.

Happy Expat:
Well, I think I've spotted one thing from the output.
Showbiz 5.x is stated as having the AAC CODEC slugged for the trial period which is probably why the audio was so poor!
Curt: I hope I'm the "new generation youngster" you're referring to.

Vurbal:
Did I at least get that bit right?
-Happy Expat (March 06, 2014, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep - but you should also put spoiler tags around it like Curt mentioned. That will keep things easier to read/find later on. Let's go through that first and I'll get to the analog capture bit in a separate post.

The first thing to look at is the General section which will give you container information.

Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                          : Sony PSP

--- End quote ---

The Format field says MPEG-4 which you might logically conclude means it refers to the official MPEG-4 container aka a MP4 file. However you also have to look at the Format profile field. If that field said QuickTime instead it would actually be in the QuickTime container aka MOV.  In this case it says Sony PSP so you know it is actually a MP4 file. It could say any number of things but all you really have to remember is if it says QuickTime that's the container and otherwise it should always be an actual MP4 file.

If this were video from a point and shoot camera I would expect this to indicate a QuickTime file. That's significant because QuickTime files aren't particularly well supported on Windows so you have to be careful (or at least thorough) when planning a workflow.

Next is the Video section which obviously provides details about the video stream.  Once again 2 lines will tell you everything you need to know at this point.

Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                             : Advanced Video Codec

--- End quote ---

This tells us the video is encoded to the MPEG-4 AVC aka H.264 standard. That's also confirmed by the Codec information:

Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                           : Advanced Video Coding

--- End quote ---

Finally there's the audio section:

Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC

--- End quote ---

In this case you've got AAC LC (Low Complexity) audio which is what you would expect from a newer point and shoot camera. If it's an older camera that should be PCM aka Pulse Code Modulation aka uncompressed audio. The most important thing here, particularly if it's anything besides PCM, is to remember you ideally want to avoid re-encoding without a good reason.

Vurbal:
my main concern was that a screenshot most likely would produce a very large picture, and though large pictures work wonderful well on desktop monitors, they doesn't work at all on smart phone screens. The new generation of youngsters all use smart phones.

Anyway, forgive me having made noise, I will now keep silent and enjoy your teaching on video editing.

-Curt (March 06, 2014, 03:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, you're right. I'm just used to capturing screenshots for publishing guides so I never remember the text output option.  :)

Happy Expat:
My apologies, I'm so unused to Forum procedures that I didn't fully understand the shorthand Curt was using.
I did go straight into the [preview] pane and then inserted the text by [ctrl]+v as I couldn't identify any other way to do it. It certainly copied the info so I thought I had "cracked it" - I obviously need yet further instructions.
As I mentioned, the files I have now, are already reprocessed from the original Hi8 tapes and are the result of encoding by Arcsoft Showbiz 5.x and then power director 10. I tried not to change anything apart from ensuring the project was always defined as 16:9 as opposed to 4:3 and that the file size remained fairly consistent but I have no idea whether there is actually a better way to get the info of the Hi8 tape.
Camera comes with 3.5mm AV and s-video out ports but as the signal is analogue the only way to make them PC usable is via a converter. I used the EZCAP USB analogue converter which has provided usable MPEGs but I'm not sure whether the aficionados would consider this more "Mickey Mouse" than "Cecil B. DeMille"
Should I start all over again with a better tape transfer mechanism?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version