ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video Editors

<< < (2/16) > >>

Happy Expat:
I think I need to become more familiar with the subject before I venture too far into the unknown. As a rank amateur I was rather hoping there was an easier solution. Still, I have plenty of time to learn.
I was trying to preserve my wife's "video snapshots" for posterity but it appears that "point and shoot" really means "point and shoot and something dies" - the dreams you thought you were capturing :-).
Thank you all for your time and endeavours.

Vurbal:
I think I need to become more familiar with the subject before I venture too far into the unknown. As a rank amateur I was rather hoping there was an easier solution. Still, I have plenty of time to learn.
-Happy Expat (March 05, 2014, 11:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here's a post I made some time back that might be a good starting point.

The bad news is it doesn't include information about the container used by almost all point and shoot cameras which is Apple's QuickTime, easily identified by the .MOV extension. It's also missing an entry for the video compression used for all video on older still cameras and still typically used today at lower resolutions which is Motion JPEG.

On the good side you're already ahead of a lot of people who seem determined to find a simple solution even after you explain the complexity of the problem. At least you've got that going for you.

Happy Expat:
Just read most of your post.
If that's where I've got to start, can you hold my hand a little more along the way :-)
Thanks!

Vurbal:
No problem. Here's my first tip. Hold off on wading through all that for a bit and we'll focus on figuring out what kind of files you have. Download MediaInfo and open one of your video files with it. Take a screenshot and post it here and I can to give you a significantly shorter list of what you should know before starting.

Happy Expat:
Vurbal, I was in the process of typing this as your earlier response came through, I suspect that some of what the mediainfo screenshots convey will also contribute to the answer for this query.
As I was copying Hi8 tapes with two as ancient as 20 years and possibly already transcribed from cine film, and the rest dating back as much as 10 years and all probably saved in whatever passed for high res in those days, I thought it would be overkill to use the highest resolution digital format available from the capture device. Consequently, files are all under four Gigs for each 90 minute tape. I actually captured them on an old XP machine and intended to transfer them via FAT32 USB sticks, so the 4Gig file limit was a consideration. Clearly, I can re-format the Sticks to NTFS or even utilise a pluggable NTFS hard disk to transfer them if I reimport them into MPEG files.
In your opinion would I be wasting my time grabbing a higher resolution?
I shall now go and download mediainfo and provide the screenshots.
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version