ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Story of Merlin: The 1978 Electronic Game

<< < (3/4) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
^I don't think I'm being paranoid or giving undue emphasis to what passes for human intelligence. I just don't think the current state of AI is that great as to be overly accommodating towards the assertions being made for it. Because from my own personal perspective (admittedly as little more than intelligent and interested bystander) it ain't nowhere near there yet.

FWIW I have a purely personal belief that 'intelligence' (or something close enough it may as well be) will ultimately be shown to inevitably emerge from from any system once it reaches sufficient power, capacity, and complexity. But that's just as much my accepting something on faith as somebody else insisting human intelligence is unique and non-reproduceable by engineering or technology. Truth is...we just don't know.

Now I'm not saying it can't be done. Just that it hasn't - and it doesn't look like there's even been a significant breakthrough in the last 20 years or so to speed the advent. Most of the approaches being taken seem pretty brute force from the readings I've done.

But that's me. I have a bias for elegant solutions.
 8)
-40hz (March 05, 2014, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Great comment.

My own private theory was that we could have had it fifteen years ago, if it was an "important goal". I think deep Racial Fear is involved. Also, see the rise of "Security".

I also believe that once you get past the odd gap of Shannon-Cyc-Robotics-LoebnerDefense-Other stuff, any four of you hotshot programmers combined can create "pseudo-AI". (And that's part of the problem, by explicitly declaring it "not important" it falls to TaoP and four people to do mockups that should have been done twenty-two years ago!)

TaoPhoenix:
^I don't think I'm being paranoid or giving undue emphasis to what passes for human intelligence.
--- End quote ---

Yes. Yes you are. I wasn't kidding. "No True Scotsman" is deadly.

I give you the following item heard about once per week in my tax office:

"I'm on welfare. I want to file like I did last year so I get my $5,000 back, for free."

So yes. Your idea of "human" ... has serious statistical flaws!

*That's* why "Entry AI" ... isn't that tough!

Put another way, via different questions, *people* fail the Turing Test about once per week!

:o  8)

40hz:
^I don't think I'm being paranoid or giving undue emphasis to what passes for human intelligence.
--- End quote ---

Yes. Yes you are. I wasn't kidding. "No True Scotsman" is deadly.

I give you the following item heard about once per week in my tax office:

"I'm on welfare. I want to file like I did last year so I get my $5,000 back, for free."

So yes. Your idea of "human" ... has serious statistical flaws!

*That's* why "Entry AI" ... isn't that tough!

Put another way, via different questions, *people* fail the Turing Test about once per week!

:o  8)

-TaoPhoenix (March 06, 2014, 12:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Tao = You completely lost me. That, or I'm afraid I came in on the middle of another discussion. (Welfare extrapolations? and "No True Scotsman??? Love it! But I have absolutely no clue as to what that is alluding to!  :huh:  ;D)

------------------------------------

Tech note: the Turing Test is not the same thing as Turing's Halting Problem in case anybody's interested. Check it out. It's a rather fascinating topic. More on it here and  here. 8)

Or if you're more the visual type:

------------------------------------

Back OT for a moment...

We also have that less capable "me too" Simon game by Milton Bradley. I just checked and was surprised to discover it still works too - although the yellow light looks like it's starting to go.

TaoPhoenix:
^I don't think I'm ... giving undue emphasis to what passes for human intelligence.
-40hz (March 06, 2014, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Tao = You completely lost me. ... "No True Scotsman??? Love it! But I have absolutely no clue as to what that is alluding to!  :huh:  ;D)
[/quote]

Put another way:
As I understand it, the Turing Test was supposed to be about a person talking through one terminal and a computer program talking via another one, and the human operator is supposed to try to figure out which is which.

But I think there are some assumptions going on about the level of intelligence of the participants. So if the human on the other side of the terminal is less coherent than a chatterbot and can't type either, and the test taker is also feebleminded, and if the chatterbot is tuned well, it very well could win!

So the "No True Scotsman" part kicks in if we start trying to say things like "oh, well, that's not a true test...".

Renegade:
I played with them in the store, but never got one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version