ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 11 Released!

<< < (16/27) > >>

mouser:
i tend to be like xtabber and avoid software that uses a licensing system that is per computer.  it's not just that i don't want to pay for each computer i have, it's that i don't want to deal with any software that is going to make me jump through some painful hoops if i try to move it from one computer to another, etc.

wraith808:
In general, if they have de-registration and such, I agree.  DO is actually pretty easy to move and I've done it several times.  It doesn't deal with machine footprints and calling home, which is the part I hate.

Innuendo:
-xtabber (March 07, 2014, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
As a matter of principle, I decided some years ago that I would avoid software that places arbitrary restrictions on how I can use it on my own computer(s).[/quote]

I, too, hate software that is licensed by computer. However, I lucked into a ridiculous Christmas deal offered by DOpus's german distributor a couple years ago. They were selling it cheaper than BDJ ever has & this deal even included the USB Export and Advanced FTP add-ons bundled in for no extra cost.

Having a license that let me use the program on two PCs (the second does not have to be a laptop) and a portable install on a flash drive sounded reasonable enough for me to make the purchase.

Innuendo:
It doesn't deal with machine footprints and calling home, which is the part I hate.-wraith808 (March 07, 2014, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

While DOpus does phone home you can block it in your firewall from doing so & DOpus will keep functioning normally with no complaints last I checked which means you could even use DOpus on a computer with no internet connection and suffer no ill effects.

DOpus isn't perfect...no program is, but it's one of the few file managers that are fairly close to perfect. The best part is they are very receptive to suggestions through their forum (unlike another file manager who shall remain nameless). As a matter of fact, Peter in the OP was talking about the 'venerable' descript.ion file format being supported. Guess which DC user convinced them to use that format rather than their own proprietary one?

What's remarkable about that is at the time I wasn't even a registered user of DOpus and it came up in an email conversation with Dr. Greg Perry when I was trying to angle for a discount.  ;D    That they would listen to me, an unknown non-customer, made me sit up and take notice. Speaking of discounts, there's never any reason to buy DOpus at full price. Send them a polite, respectful email and they'll happily give you a discount for 25% off just for you taking the time to take interest in them by reaching out.

myarmor:
While DOpus does phone home you can block it in your firewall from doing so & DOpus will keep functioning normally with no complaints last I checked which means you could even use DOpus on a computer with no internet connection and suffer no ill effects.
-Innuendo (March 08, 2014, 09:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
If "check for news and product updates" is enabled it "phones home" to check that once a week (or whatever your setting says).
You can disable it if you want to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version