ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 11 Released!

<< < (14/27) > >>

Jibz:
I am going to try to summarize the licenses and pricing of DO and a few of the competitors to get a little perspective (all prices are in USD, corrections welcome):

ProductInitial PriceUpgrade PriceLifetime OptionLicense CoversDirectory Opus$80$45 /~3yN/A1 PC + 1 laptopTotal Commander$44N/ANo promises, but free upgrades since v1.0Any number of computers used by one person at a timexplorer2 (ultimate)$50$33 /1y$70 addon purchaceSingle user on many computers or many users on a single PCXYplorer$30$24 /1y$80 initial priceAll computers you use
We can see that the initial purchase of DO is roughly twice as much as the others.

If you buy all upgrades, then the three year upgrade window on DO makes it cheaper in the long run than normal licenses of xplorer2 and XYplorer.

If you buy the lifetime licenses for xplorer2 and XYplorer, then they will become cheaper than DO after the first three years.

As long as Total Commander continues to not charge for upgrades, it will be the cheapest all around.

Another interesting point is the licensing. DO is the only one that limits the number of computers you can use the software on.

If you have to buy DO for three or more computers, then it will be more expensive than a normal license of xplorer2 or XYplorer with upgrades every year.

So, in summary, lifetime licenses are great (as long as the developers honour them). Directory Opus is expensive, but if you are the type of person who buys all upgrades right away, then the larger upgrade window makes it cheaper over time. If you have more than three computers, or if you only buy upgrades when there is something new you actually want, then you will have to do your own math :P.

Edit March 7th: Updated DO upgrade pricing.
Edit May 1st: XYplorer changed it's upgrade policy to include upgrades for 1 year instead of one major version number.

cyberdiva:
An interesting comparison, but are all these prices in the same currency?  I know that DOpus's prices are in Australian dollars, but I don't know about the others.  For an accurate comparison, they should all be in (or converted to) the same currency.

wraith808:
An interesting comparison, but are all these prices in the same currency?  I know that DOpus's prices are in Australian dollars, but I don't know about the others.  For an accurate comparison, they should all be in (or converted to) the same currency.
-cyberdiva (March 07, 2014, 09:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed.  And I really don't think you can compare one SW package to another solely on pricing- the benefit for you really weighs into the decision to buy at any price for a lot of people.

Jibz:
An interesting comparison, but are all these prices in the same currency?  I know that DOpus's prices are in Australian dollars, but I don't know about the others.  For an accurate comparison, they should all be in (or converted to) the same currency.
--- End quote ---

I converted the price for DO from Australian dollar to US, so all the prices listed in the table are in US dollars.

Agreed.  And I really don't think you can compare one SW package to another solely on pricing- the benefit for you really weighs into the decision to buy at any price for a lot of people.
-wraith808 (March 07, 2014, 09:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course, but much of the discussion in this thread has been about how expensive DO is, so I think it was worth trying to look at how it compared.

Also, if you can't compare a file manager to other file managers, what is the point then?

cyberdiva:
An interesting comparison, but are all these prices in the same currency?  I know that DOpus's prices are in Australian dollars, but I don't know about the others.  For an accurate comparison, they should all be in (or converted to) the same currency.
--- End quote ---

I converted the price for DO from Australian dollar to US, so all the prices listed in the table are in US dollars.
-Jibz (March 07, 2014, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
I was looking at the Upgrade price, since I upgraded a day or so ago, and the upgrade price ($50 AUD) converted to ~$44 USD.  I just looked again today, and apparently it's now up to ~45 USD, but that's still not $48 USD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version