ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 11 Released!

<< < (13/27) > >>

myarmor:
I really think that the key is flexibility. If I were to release an application, and a user contacted me in that situation, I would be willing to make exceptions on a case-by-case basis. That said, based on the email reply, I feel that my request would be met with deaf ears based on how they replied to the discount.
-Josh (March 06, 2014, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you're close to a year in, I don't really see how they'd do that. It would probably apply to too many customers among other things.
If it were a 1-3 months since the purchase of the previous major version, then its far more common to have a free upgrade to the new version.

Btw, Just Great Software (PowerGrep, RegexBuddy, EditPad Pro etc) is one of the few I've seen that actually has one year of free major upgrades
after a product purchase. NB! I've purchased several of their products, but I'm not associated with them.

Josh:
Well, you don't have to make it a policy that is published. But if a user contacts you and inquires about it, I would be more in the mindset of "keep them happy" and provide the upgrade only upon request if you are < 1 year in.

wraith808:
Well, you don't have to make it a policy that is published. But if a user contacts you and inquires about it, I would be more in the mindset of "keep them happy" and provide the upgrade only upon request if you are < 1 year in.
-Josh (March 06, 2014, 01:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... I agree it would be nice. But it's up to the developer.  But on the other hand, not to do it because you don't think it would be met with a good reply and not let them know about it...? 

I'd do it anyway, personally.

peter.s:
"I purchased the product in a state where those updates had already occurred."

I explained this above, with the blatant example of FPV, and which has withheld me from bying for YEARS now, because at any given moment within those YEARS, I had thought the next major upgrade is imminent (1.95 > 2.0).

I'm critical vàv DO, but their update scheme is known, and quite stable, so whenever you buy (it was on bits, half-price, no? since that would have been the moment it appeared there...!) 2 years after a major release, you KNOW the next major release will not take ages, don't you? (And their bit offering, then, is for squeezing out some more drops, out of the soon-previous version.) So you know, or you should know, what you're doing, by buying at such an untimely moment.

And finally, "Would be nice" - har, har, har: Anybody knows that DO stuff does good stuff (compared...), but that they never have been "nice" in their life, and they never will be: Worldwide, I only know of TWO fora where mentioning "competitors' " product will get you heavily reprimanded, censored, then thrown out, theirs, and then that of the German text expanding sw producer I will not name here, in order to not deviate the discussion unlawfully by getting him in to stante pede intervene.

So, in this context, expecting them to give sw away for free (= from their pov), is naïve/aberrant (since we know them, i.e. whatever you could say, you cannot say they do clearly state their stance on subjects regarding them).

Most people are like us, and would like to "make their customers happy" - not so with some, blatantly "I'm a hard businessman" types out there, but again, their stance is to be respected whenever they state it clearly, from start on, and that's what they do: Even by installing their trials, you'll quickly realize how "business-like" (vs. "customer-centred") they are, with their incredible "security" routines even for your daring to use the trial. So before buying (except in a bits case, without trialling), you'll perfectly know, from them, how they will treat you as a customer: blatantly authority-like, no kindness whatsoever to be expected.

This is to be respected, then, since it doesn't come as a surprise. Sorry to be blant here, but their "business model" is known, because they display it in the open. As far as I'm concerned, I prefer to not being treated like I would be on the police station, as a suspect, but then, there are people out there who LOVE to be treated that way. But don't enter a police station, convincing yourself you're entering a theme park: THEN, indeed, you might be in for some surprise.

Ath:
"I purchased the product in a state where those updates had already occurred."
-peter.s (March 06, 2014, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Peter, please use the standard quote mechanism of the forum, your use of actual quotes around the quote makes it nearly unrecognizable as a quote :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version