ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 11 Released!

<< < (26/27) > >>

Tuxman:
Lazarus doesn't change functionality. However, I made the experience that freeware file managers - except FAR, of course - are notably worse than their commercial pendants, usability-wise.

MilesAhead:
Lazarus doesn't change functionality. However, I made the experience that freeware file managers - except FAR, of course - are notably worse than their commercial pendants, usability-wise.
-Tuxman (September 06, 2016, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

The freeCommander author made it a bit different when he released the XE version.  Also it came out with many functions unimplemented and filled in piecemeal.  One of the last was the multi-renamer which was one of my favorite freeCommander functions.  I still haven't seen the 64 bit release.

The trouble with a file manager is a tendency to use that as the cockpit.  If you decide you made a bad choice you likely invested lots of time that has to be jettisoned unless the replacement has a similar command set and layout.

But I don't do a zillion file operations a day.  So it is not really the basis of how I use the PC.  A guy I worked with did everything out of X-Tree Gold.  He pretty much talked me into buying it.  It worked well so I didn't feel ripped off.  But I got nowhere near the use from it that he did.

Tuxman:
That's not Lazarus's fault, though. Delphi doesn't really make a difference.

MilesAhead:
That's not Lazarus's fault, though. Delphi doesn't really make a difference.
-Tuxman (September 06, 2016, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

The difference would have been a 64 bit version that looked exactly the same as the 32 bit.  What provoked the change to Lazarus was anticipation of the need to compile x64 without spending a lot of $$$

Tuxman:
So the only difference is the money. I doubt that will make the application worse.
The fC has always been a quite overly colored application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version