ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) 201403 ISOs just released

<< < (3/4) > >>

Deozaan:
@Deo - do you mean DE as in "Debian Edition" or do you mean DE as "desktop environment" as in a distro that will let you boot into several windows managers?
-40hz (March 04, 2014, 10:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I meant desktop environment. Sorry. I tried to avoid ambiguity by spelling it out the first time I said it before abbreviating it to DE when referring to "desktop environment" later in the post. I had also hoped that talking about the differences between MATE and Cinnamon would clarify my intent.

:D

40hz:
@Deo - do you mean DE as in "Debian Edition" or do you mean DE as "desktop environment" as in a distro that will let you boot into several windows managers?
-40hz (March 04, 2014, 10:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I meant desktop environment. Sorry. I tried to avoid ambiguity by spelling it out the first time I said it before abbreviating it to DE when referring to "desktop environment" later in the post. I had also hoped that talking about the differences between MATE and Cinnamon would clarify my intent.

:D
-Deozaan (March 05, 2014, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

No need to apologize. I've got way too much on my mind lately. And nuance is wasted on me, even at the best of times. Sorry to need it spelled out sometimes.

FWIW you should be able to have MATE and Cinnamon on the same Mint installation without any problems. Just select which one to use at startup.

There was also a distro, which I can't remember the name of(do we detect a pattern here folks?) that was Debian-based and had something like eight or nine windows/desktop managers available right out of the box. All the biggies (i.e. Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Openbox, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, etc.) were included. It was primarily created to evaluate WMs.

Anybody know or remember what it was called?

Deozaan:
I think I figured it out... kind of.

Cinnamon seems to be based on KDE Plasma Desktop. Or at least it looks very similar.
MATE is based on Gnome 2, which I'm most familiar with due to usually choosing Gnome as my Ubuntu WM over the years.
XFCE is really lightweight, so would probably be great for an aging netbook. (But there's no Linux Mint Debian Edition that comes with XFCE.)

So for my netbook, which is currently running Windows XP (which is warning me that it's no longer supported by Microsoft), I'll probably switch it over to Linux Mint 16 XFCE.

:Thmbsup:

Edvard:
(But there's no Linux Mint Debian Edition that comes with XFCE.)
-Deozaan (April 03, 2014, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wait for it...

--- ---apt-get install xfce4
Done.  :D  And a fine desktop environ it is too, even if it is no longer the petit bureau it once was.  ;)

As far as the concerns about things being pulled from Testing, yes I've been bitten by it twice now.  Once with something trivial that I have forgotten now, but seemed somewhat important at the time.  The other was when they pulled the proprietary AMD accelerated drivers from the Testing repos.  THAT ticked me off.  I was previously running the open-source AMD drivers, and they worked fine.  Some update somewhere caused all my games to look like somebody uploaded random thumbnails to an Atari 2600, so I installed the proprietary drivers and all was well, until...
 >:(

Well, that's what you get for running Testing, I guess.  Apparently it was pulled for good reason, but I was still mad...

40hz:
I think I figured it out... kind of.

Cinnamon seems to be based on KDE Plasma Desktop. Or at least it looks very similar.
[
-Deozaan (April 03, 2014, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's actually based on GTK+3 and was originally meant to be a fork of the Gnome Shell when Mint's developers (along with pretty much everyone else) didn't like the direction Gnome was taking with the design decisions driving the original Gnome-3 release. Cinnamon has evolved far beyond its Gnome roots and has since become an entirely separate desktop environment.

FWIW I don't think it looks much like KDE. And IMHO it doesn't feel very much like KDE either. But that's me. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version