ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP to Windows 7 advice

<< < (4/6) > >>

4wd:
Windows Live Mail is web-based, no?  I really like having all my email on my machine.-AndyM (March 03, 2014, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

As Vurbal said above, Live Mail, (from the Live Essentials pack), is a standalone program as was Outlook Express, you use it the same way, eg. download your emails via POP3 to be stored locally.  It's just a largely updated version of OE.

From Wikipediaw:
Windows Live Mail (formerly named Windows Live Mail Desktop, code-named Elroy) is a freeware email client from Microsoft. It is the successor to Outlook Express on Windows XP and Windows Mail on Windows Vista. The application is available for download via the Windows Essentials suite.
--- End quote ---

Windows Live Essentials:
Programs include Windows Live Messenger, Mail, Writer, Photo Gallery, Family Safety, Toolbar, and Movie Maker, plus Outlook Connector, Office Live Add-in, and Microsoft Silverlight.
--- End quote ---

Download the web installer and then just select Live Mail, it'll be downloaded and installed.  It'll prompt you to create a Microsoft Live email account when first run, (IIRC), if it doesn't find a program to import from but you can safely cancel those requesters and just import your old emails, accounts, and contacts from wherever you've exported them from OE.

If you used and liked OE, you'll have no problems with Live Mail.

AndyM:
Thanks for the clarification re Windows Live Mail.  The question now is whether or not I'd like it better than Thunderbird.  Otherwise I don't want to create any kind of Microsoft account if I don't have to (don't twitter, use facebook, gmail, etc either because I don't have to.)

I like and use Firefox, so I figure I'd probably be ok with Thunderbird.  Are there things about Windows Live Mail that are better?

40hz:
Re LibreOffice, App103 expressed my concern, that all the VBA code I've written won't work, or won't work well.  Plus the groups I work with are all standardized on Office.

-AndyM (March 03, 2014, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Whoops...missed the VBA part. :-[

The answer is: No, VBA code won't work with anything other than MS Office. Sorry for not seeing that earlier. Looks like you're stuck with Microsoft. Not that that's a bad thing. Office is a very capable productivity suite even if it is bloated beyond necessity IMHO.

Something you may want to consider...if you don't mind subscribing versus buying once (until you upgrade), you could look at the Office 365 offering from Microsoft. A $150/yr subscription to Office 365 Small Business Premium or Office 365 Small Business Premium will get you the whole shebang plus a lot more. And the business version will do monthly billing although it will cost $15 per month ($180/yr) instead of $12.50 ($150/yr) if you go that route. Not a bad trade-off if cash flow is tight.

There are some considerations and caveats with Office 365. So be sure to read through what it's about to see if it will work for you.
Microsoft will also give you a free trial (no credit card required) which I strongly suggest you take advantage of before subscribing if you do think it's something you'd be interested in.

Office 365 is not for everybody. But even I have to (reluctantly) admit it makes sense for many people and businesses.

8)

rgdot:
^ Thanks. Learn something new everyday:

the five Office 2013 installations you're allowed with your 365 subscription are each fully functioning local installations and they work just fine online or offline
--- End quote ---

40hz:
^Yup. And IIRC, Office 2013 Home & Business Edition only allows installation on one PC at a time. That was another change that came in with the 2013 editions. Funny how Microsoft didn't feel the need to highlight that little change in their licensing huh? :mrgreen:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version