ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP to Windows 7 advice

<< < (5/6) > >>

4wd:
Otherwise I don't want to create any kind of Microsoft account if I don't have to (don't twitter, use facebook, gmail, etc either because I don't have to.)-AndyM (March 03, 2014, 06:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't, you can use any account you like.

I like and use Firefox, so I figure I'd probably be ok with Thunderbird.  Are there things about Windows Live Mail that are better?
--- End quote ---

I can't tell you, I use Thunderbird v10 :)

Carol Haynes:
FWIW Windows Live Mail is easier to deal with if you ever want to change to a different mail client.

Really annoys me that developers write programs that lock you in with no way to export data.

WLM isn't perfect by any means but it has better export functions than most of the others I have tried.

Re. Office I would suggest picking up a copy of MS Office 2003, 2007 or 2010 ASAP. I have Office 2013 on my laptop and it seems to add nothing to 2010 (which I use all the time) except annoyances and product entrapment - most notably their cloud offering (whatever it is called today!!!)

Having said that there is no guarantee that your VBA script will work unmodified in any other version of Office, you may even find that your VBScript in Office 2002 doesn't work properly without modification (assuming you can even get O2002 to run properly on Windows 8 in the first place - which is debatable). Most likely to work with O2003 which does work on Windows 8 - really be surprised if it works with 2007, 2010, 2013 unmodified given that there are major changes in Office products after 2003.

If you do go for a copy of Office 2003 from somewhere note when you activate you need to run at Administrator level (ie. avoid UAC) otherwise the activation gets requested everytime you run the program. Simplest way is post install at the start screen type WINWORD and then right click and run as administrator on the icon.

AndyM:
I could live with Office 2003, I know all my stuff works and there's no ribbon.  I should be able to get a legal copy cheap enough when the time comes.

I'm 99% sure I'll be able to copy my normal.dot and personal.xls from 2002 to 2003.

...at the start screen type WINWORD and then right click and run as administrator on the icon.
-Carol
Haynes link=topic=37413.msg350485#msg350485 date=1393931507
--- End quote ---

I'm hoping this sort of thing can be automated.

AndyM:
Thanks for straightening me out re Windows Live Mail.  It would definitely serve my purpose.

I may get an email address in a system using Office365, which uses Exchange.

Does the info below, from an article somewhere, make this an easy decision, just move to Live Mail so I can more easily manage this email address?

The main competition to Thunderbird are Microsoft's two email clients, Windows Live Mail and Microsoft Outlook. If you use Exchange, you'll probably need one of these. Windows Live Mail is actually a pretty good client, and has a lot of the same features as Thunderbird, like conversation views, as well as some nice Windows integration. It doesn't have the awesome add-on support that Thunderbird does, however...
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
You only have to do it once to activate the product after that it works fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version