ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP to Windows 7 advice

(1/6) > >>

AndyM:
I'm thinking of upgrading my 6 year old Vostro 1700 XP pro laptop to Windows 7.

I need to replace Outlook Express (which I like), and I don't want to use web-based email like GMail.  Last time I thought about upgrading, I figured I'd use Mozilla Thunderbird.  I have Outlook 2002 but really dislike it.

I'm still using Word 2002 and Excel 2002.  I can't afford to upgrade these any time soon, and that will be a project I'm not looking forward to, seeing if all my VB code and any of my interface customization will still work.

So, my two questions if I upgrade from XP Pro to Windows 7:

1.  Will Mozilla Thunderbird easily replace Outlook Express?

2.  Will I be able to re-install and run Word and Excel 2002 easily? 

MilesAhead:
I don't know about the Office programs installing.  But I'd say if you have 2+ GB Ram you should run W7 fine.  Thunderbird should be no issue.  In fact I tried updating to the new TB awhile ago.  I saw no need for multi-tab interface.  I returned to the 2.x version as it was essentially the same without the tabbed interface.  TB should just import all your settings and mail folders.

The only annoying thing for me with W7 was the snap stuff.  If the mouse gets near a border while dragging it resizes etc..  But that can be disabled.  The progress bar in taskbar button stuff is great.  You don't have to worry about which window is on top if something is downloading etc..  I find it way more polished than W8.

AndyM:
Thanks!

I guess the smart thing to do would be to install Thunderbird under XP, migrate everything from Outlook Express and get that behind me.

40hz:
Will I be able to re-install and run Word and Excel 2002 easily?
-AndyM (March 02, 2014, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Word and Excel should run fine as long as the Microsoft Live add-in isn't installed. If it is, just remove it and all should be well.

4wd:
I just did a data migrate for someone whose computer had died, from XP to Windows 8 - they wanted their emails from OE6 migrated across as well as reinstall of Office 2010 Student Edition (no Outlook).

So I just installed Windows Live Mail (only) from Windows Live Essentials and imported the account and emails, painless.

Person was happy because it was like OE - I'd uninstalled the default Windows 8 email thing so they never had to look at it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version