ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software longevity

<< < (2/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
If you want I can sent you a WinAmp v1.91 installer that actually comes from 1998...which still works fine on Windows 7 (I tried it myself).

About 600Kbyte of goodness  ;)
-Shades (March 01, 2014, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like it would be fun to try. 

rgdot:
powerpro is near the top of the list.

widgewunner:
ZTree for Windows (reborn from XTree (for DOS)) .

Cannot. Live. Without.

40hz:
Peachtree Accounting (in one form or another) from about 1981 up until 2008.

Never really liked the product personally - assuming it's possible to actually "like" an accounting application. ;D And it seemed to get junked up quickly once the Windows versions came out. But it was a very capable general purpose double-entry accounting solution. One which enforced accounting standards fairly well. And for a while it was one of the least expensive SMB accounting packages that still allowed you to "drill-down" to transaction detail level and allowed BOM 'assemblies' in inventory - so that put it well ahead of the pack for many years. All in all a decent bit of software that got the job done.

I sure don't miss it. 8)

As far as something which got used in it's original version forever, I'd have to say it was the Mac-based Acta outliner which I bought sometime around 1986 or 1987. It's still my favorite single-pane outliner. It originally ran on a trusty Macintosh SE until I moved it to a snazzy Macintosh IIsi in 1990. I used Acta up until about 1999 when the IIsi it was running on finally died.

app103:
If you want I can sent you a WinAmp v1.91 installer that actually comes from 1998...which still works fine on Windows 7 (I tried it myself).

About 600Kbyte of goodness  ;)
-Shades (March 01, 2014, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like it would be fun to try. 
-MilesAhead (March 01, 2014, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

No thanks! Putting my system at risk is not my idea of fun. All of those old versions have exploitable security vulnerabilities...lots of them.  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version