ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software longevity

<< < (3/5) > >>

ewemoa:
No thanks! Putting my system at risk is not my idea of fun. All of those old versions have exploitable security vulnerabilities...lots of them.  :o
-app103 (March 01, 2014, 11:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point!

MilesAhead:
If you want I can sent you a WinAmp v1.91 installer that actually comes from 1998...which still works fine on Windows 7 (I tried it myself).

About 600Kbyte of goodness  ;)
-Shades (March 01, 2014, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like it would be fun to try. 
-MilesAhead (March 01, 2014, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

No thanks! Putting my system at risk is not my idea of fun. All of those old versions have exploitable security vulnerabilities...lots of them.  :o
--- End quote ---

But is any kiddie hacker old enough to remember them?  :)
You could always run it using Time Freeze or some other sandbox, for grins.

TaoPhoenix:
If you want I can sent you a WinAmp v1.91 installer that actually comes from 1998...which still works fine on Windows 7 (I tried it myself).

About 600Kbyte of goodness  ;)
-Shades (March 01, 2014, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like it would be fun to try. 
-MilesAhead (March 01, 2014, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

You could always run it using Time Freeze or some other sandbox, for grins.

-MilesAhead (March 02, 2014, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't used it in a while, but in the past I used a separate standalone machine with little important data just to mess around with stuff like that.

MilesAhead:
I haven't used it in a while, but in the past I used a separate standalone machine with little important data just to mess around with stuff like that.
--- End quote ---
I agree. Too often I've parked perfectly working PCs on the curb just for lack of room.  Next time I want to do it right with large benches.  Nothing on the floor.  Network the oldest PCs, perhaps running Linux, instead of trashing them.

My setup was 2 PCs on the floor and a small table with CRT and keyboard/mouse with kvma switch.  Usually one PC was running with internet access to bail me out of problems or new PC setup on the other.  Now with just a Lappy I don't want to take any risks.

ewemoa:
-MilesAhead (March 02, 2014, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I see the smilie here -- so I presume you aren't serious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version