ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is there an AV App that Doesn't Eventually Become Bloatware?

<< < (7/8) > >>

Defenestration:
Not that I've seen... Sure, it doesn't re-scan files that aren't changed while you keep your computer running, but the "scanned files database" is in-memory and doesn't survive a reboot.

New KAV version sounds interesting, perhaps I should give it a go.
-f0dder (July 06, 2006, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
You may already know this (in which case please excuse me for stating the obvious :) ), but do you have the AMON  setting "Optimize scanning" enabled ?

This feature causes AMON to rescan a particular file after it's been changed, the virus signature database has been updated, if AMON's settings have been changed or an application has attempted to access the file in write mode.

You should definitely give the new KAV 6 a try.

Gothi[c]:
Like App said,... AVG-free has always worked fine for me. it has a very small memory footprint and it's not bloaty, and it hasn't been for a while (knock on wood).

f0dder:
When determining memory usage of a process, you should be looking at both the "Mem Usage" and the "VM Size" columns in Task Manager.
-Defenestration
--- End quote ---
The most important thing to look at is "private bytes" (use Process Explorer), as this is the real and exclusive memory usage for the process.

You may already know this (in which case please excuse me for stating the obvious :) ), but do you have the AMON  setting "Optimize scanning" enabled ?

This feature causes AMON to rescan a particular file after it's been changed, the virus signature database has been updated, if AMON's settings have been changed or an application has attempted to access the file in write mode.
-Defenestration
--- End quote ---
Yes, of course :)

And it *does* optimize the scanning - until the system is rebooted. The database of scanned files is only kept in memory, not stored on disk.

Defenestration:
When determining memory usage of a process, you should be looking at both the "Mem Usage" and the "VM Size" columns in Task Manager.
-Defenestration
--- End quote ---
The most important thing to look at is "private bytes" (use Process Explorer), as this is the real and exclusive memory usage for the process.-f0dder (July 07, 2006, 01:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
You need to look at both to get a true indication of memory usage. While "Private Bytes" tells you the amount of virtual address space allocated for the process, the amount actually committed to RAM (indicated by "Working Set"/"Mem Usage") is sometimes higher (and so this column gives you the true indication of memory used by a process).

f0dder:
Well, "Private Bytes" is the amount of memory that cannot be discarded and re-read from the .exe (and .dlls) - memory that in low-memory situations must be flushed to the paging file. Working set just means how much memory is currently allocated to the process working set - this includes both private bytes as well as shared bytes.

The "Virtual Size" figure doesn't matter much, as long as "Private Bytes" is low.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version