ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Atom - A new editor is born

<< < (5/10) > >>

xtabber:
What I want in an editor:
------
Rectangular/column/block edit mode
Bookmark lines with a regex search and manipulate bookmarks (invert, blank lines, etc.)
Perform actions on bookmarked lines (copy, delete, move, etc)
Automatic incremental block fill (select block and fill/insert with 001, 002, 003, etc.)
-Edvard (May 06, 2014, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kedit does all that, and then some, which is why I still use it more than any other editor, even though it hasn't been under active development for years.   The author has made some changes to keep it working under Win7 and Win8, but in doing so, he unfortunately changed it to use the registry for settings instead of the .ini file previously used.  A major mistake, IMHO!

Windows only, but known to run with WINE. Also, expensive.  Line oriented, so search targets cannot cross line endings.  If you are comfortable with REXX, you can make it do almost anything.

superboyac:
I don't know why, but I really enjoy reading about why people choose the text editors they use.
 ;)

I think it has partly to do with the fact that it's just a text editor, lol.  It's supposed to be this very plain thing, yet there are so many complex options and features, etc. to consider and we get all passionate about them.  Same goes for other software, I suppose, but I really have fun with the text editors.

wraith808:
"... After struggling to build Atom on windows, I've finally managed to make a redistributable package for it. Unfortunately there's no official release for Windows yet, so I had to take matters into my own hands ...":
http://blog.someguy123.com/atom-builds-for-windows/
-panzer (May 09, 2014, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

275MB installed?!?  That seems like a lot... but I'm still trying it.

40hz:
"... After struggling to build Atom on windows, I've finally managed to make a redistributable package for it. Unfortunately there's no official release for Windows yet, so I had to take matters into my own hands ...":
http://blog.someguy123.com/atom-builds-for-windows/
-panzer (May 09, 2014, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

275MB installed?!?  That seems like a lot... but I'm still trying it.
-wraith808 (May 09, 2014, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Lordy! The entire Puppy Linux live distro is only 162MBs in it's latest edition!  :tellme:

Edvard:
What I want in an editor:
------
Rectangular/column/block edit mode
Bookmark lines with a regex search and manipulate bookmarks (invert, blank lines, etc.)
Perform actions on bookmarked lines (copy, delete, move, etc)
Automatic incremental block fill (select block and fill/insert with 001, 002, 003, etc.)
-Edvard (May 06, 2014, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kedit does all that, and then some
Windows only, but known to run with WINE.-xtabber (May 09, 2014, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Strike oneAlso, expensive.
--- End quote ---
Strike twoLine oriented, so search targets cannot cross line endings.  If you are comfortable with REXX, you can make it do almost anything.

--- End quote ---
Not quite strike three, but I never got into REXX.  

TextPad is only 27 bucks, Notepad++ is free, both do all I want and runs in Wine.  Why don't I use those instead?  Using Wine to run something as trivial as a text editor (however full-featured) just doesn't justify the overhead, IMO.  I've also heard Kate can do all that, but it brings a whole ton of KDE baggage with it, so I can't justify that either.  Sorry, I know I'm being picky, but most of us are, to some degree or another. ;)

I don't know why, but I really enjoy reading about why people choose the text editors they use.
 ;)
I think it has partly to do with the fact that it's just a text editor, lol.  It's supposed to be this very plain thing, yet there are so many complex options and features, etc. to consider and we get all passionate about them.  Same goes for other software, I suppose, but I really have fun with the text editors.
-superboyac (May 09, 2014, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well... think of anything you can do with text; write a story, code (in all it's myriad formats), populate a database or spreadsheet, take notes, keep lists, edit configuration files, etc.  I mean, there is so much to modern computing that plain text is still a vital, integral part of that it's almost impossible to think of something that can't be done better if only one had a more feature-ful text editor.  Personally, I need something that will edit config files and help me build playlists with equal aplomb, and if it can help me code efficiently, so much the better (though, IMHO the closer to an IDE any given text editor gets, the less useful as a plain text editor it is).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version