ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Atom - A new editor is born

<< < (2/10) > >>

Jibz:
I haven't tried it, but I could imagine running in a browser might give some performance problems on larger projects. At least it looks like it doesn't handle large files too well yet.

Also, until they fix font-smoothing in Chrome on Windows it will be a pain on the eyes.

superboyac:
@Wraith- is "moleware" a word?  :huh:

I think I'll just stick with Sublime. :-* Especially since I already paid for it.  ;D

Funny thing about Atom. From the way the website is talking about it, it almost seems like they're reinventing that other "everything editor" (EMACS) - except this time with a more "modern" interface.
 8)
-40hz (March 03, 2014, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sublime won me over as well.  That preview margin is just too cool.  I don't know if it is terribly practical for me, but I can't live without it any more!

40hz:
That preview margin is just too cool.  I don't know if it is terribly practical for me, but I can't live without it any more!
-superboyac (April 17, 2014, 04:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. I don't know how necessary it actually is. But I WANTED it - and it's probably at least half the reason why I ended up buying it.

Not everything I do makes sense. And I'm comfortable with that.

Like that great ad for a certain expensive guitar said: "I'm all about tone, and nothing but tone - but God does that flame maple look gorgeous!" ;D

phitsc:
To b honest, I found the minimap in Sublime not very useful and have actually disabled it. Visual Studio now has a similar feature in its vertical scrollbar where it also shows where you've actually made modifications which is quite helpful when you're making modifications in multiple parts of a document.

For me, Sublimes two killer features are its excellent multiple selections feature (which would be absolutely cool to have in VS; there is a plugin but it doesn't quite work so well) and its goto-anything feature (which VS now also kind of has; it's called NavigateTo - Ctrl+,).

Jibz:
For me, Sublimes two killer features are its excellent multiple selections feature (which would be absolutely cool to have in VS; there is a plugin but it doesn't quite work so well) and its goto-anything feature (which VS now also kind of has; it's called NavigateTo - Ctrl+,).
-phitsc (April 18, 2014, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree, the way multiple cursors and the fuzzy search in panels like goto-anything and command palette work in Sublime Text are very sleek. You can see other editors are copying these features (for instance UltraEdit just got what looks like multiple cursors that work). On the surface Atom looks like it was heavily inspired by ST (even the names for these features are the same, most other editors came up with their own slightly different names).

I am not saying ST was the first to implement these things, but it does them so very well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version