ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My pop/imap Android experience

(1/7) > >>

superboyac:
Ever since I got my Android, I've been messing with my gmail settings to get them just the way I wanted.  It's been weird, so I'm going to tell the whole story.

Android, Nexus 5, custom ROM
email app: K9 Mail

I've never used IMAP before since I just download everything on my client at home (desktop).  But I figured I'd play around with it since it is supposed make things easier once you start using multiple devices.

Ever since enabling IMAP, I have had lots of difficulty finding messages through the K9 app.  SOmetimes a new mail will come on my gmail, I'll read it, but then it's gone on the phone!  And it seems to mess with the pop download too on my client at home.  If i read it really quickly before the pop downloads it...well it still seems to download, but my junkmail program flags it as spam or something and it sometimes ends up in the junk folder.  weird.

So now I'm turning imap off.  I don't need the folder syncing anyway.  This is like my 4th time trying imap, it never stuck with me.  I'm not crazy with my folders and organization...only on my home desktop client do i organize things because it gets archived there locally.

There you go.  back to work.

Vurbal:
That's interesting. I've been using K9 for years and never had that problem.

40hz:
I'm running K9 using an IMAP setup for access to a general purpose GMail account from a Nook without incident or problems.

This same account gets accessed under IOS, Linux and Windows by at least three different (and ever changing) email clients. No problems so far. Wonder if the problem you're experiencing originates with your provider's mailserver...

eleman:
gmail's imap thingie is a pain in the soft tissue. I use pop3 instead, but use the "recent" trick to make it work with multiple devices.

enter your user name as follows:
recent:[email protected]

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/47948?hl=en
This is handy.

nosh:
Are POP and IMAP OK to use alongside each other? It makes sense that the IMAP client can't access a mail after your POP client has downloaded (and presumably deleted) it. If you need a local copy on your main machine with IMAP, you could use the local copy feature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version