ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My pop/imap Android experience

<< < (7/7)

superboyac:
So instead of just having three simple buttons which would be "intimidating", we have one button...but with a long press option.  Really?  Is that really that much easier.  end rant.-superboyac (March 05, 2014, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Only if the button is green and has the words "Don't Panic" next to it.
-Stoic Joker (March 05, 2014, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
ha!  but it has to be glossy right?  or are we past that now?  i think we're doing the uniform color simplicity thing now....isn't that what ios5 ushered in?

Vurbal:
I wouldn't characterize it as a 21st century phenomenon, but I'm completely in agreement about it being taken too far. I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of making everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. Your issue finding this Gmail setting is a perfect example of what happens when you go past that point. It appears simpler but in reality the opposite is true.

The real problem is that the reason for oversimplifying isn't, done to serve the user. Instead it's used to further the interests of the interface provider which are often, arguably more often than not, at odds with the user's interests.

Vurbal:
So instead of just having three simple buttons which would be "intimidating", we have one button...but with a long press option.  Really?  Is that really that much easier.  end rant.-superboyac (March 05, 2014, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Only if the button is green and has the words "Don't Panic" next to it.
-Stoic Joker (March 05, 2014, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Once the Vogons are on their way that's probably as useful as anything else.

Deozaan:
If you reply to an email in your inbox, gmail sends that message to archive.  I hate that.  leave it in the inbox, i'll archive when I'm good and ready.  Anyone have a solution for this?
-superboyac (March 05, 2014, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
I found it!  There's an option in the general settings for gmail for hiding the "send and archive" button.  Silly gmail.

So instead of just having three simple buttons which would be "intimidating", we have one button...but with a long press option.  Really?  Is that really that much easier.  end rant.
-superboyac (March 05, 2014, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I never had a problem noticing/knowing the difference between the Send & Archive button and just the plain old vanilla Send button. They're right next to each other. It's not that hard to look before you click.

superboyac:
If you reply to an email in your inbox, gmail sends that message to archive.  I hate that.  leave it in the inbox, i'll archive when I'm good and ready.  Anyone have a solution for this?
-superboyac (March 05, 2014, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
I found it!  There's an option in the general settings for gmail for hiding the "send and archive" button.  Silly gmail.

So instead of just having three simple buttons which would be "intimidating", we have one button...but with a long press option.  Really?  Is that really that much easier.  end rant.
-superboyac (March 05, 2014, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I never had a problem noticing/knowing the difference between the Send & Archive button and just the plain old vanilla Send button. They're right next to each other. It's not that hard to look before you click.
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Deozaan (March 05, 2014, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
I didn't say it was "that hard".  I think the trick here is that the normal send button may have been there before, and perhaps even blue.  And it got changed, and I didn't notice.

actually...it looks like it's been there since 2009.  I must have changed a setting unintentionally recently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version